European Under-21 Championship final preview: Switzerland - Spain
The tournament in Denmark comes to a close with both group winners facing off for the honor of collecting the title.
|Switzerland (4-4-2): Sommer; Koch, Rossini, Klose, Berardi; Lustenberger, Frei, Shaqiri, Xhaki; Emeghara, Mehmedi
Defender Francois Affolter tore a thigh muscle in training the morning of Switzerland's semifinal clash and has been ruled out of the final. Granit Xhaka returns from suspension, however, and could take his place in the starting lineup.
|Spain (4-3-3): De Gea; Montoya, Botia, Dominguez, Didac; Javi Martinez, Ander Herrera, Thiago; Mata, Adrian, Jeffren|
Spain coach Luis Milla could give Jeffren a start after his stunning goal against Belarus in the semifinal, with Athletic Bilbao youngster Iker Muniain likely to make way.
Adrian Lopez has been in blistering form so far in the tournament, netting on five occasions, and he will lead the line in what is likely to be an otherwise unchanged team.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Switzerland is competing in its fifth Euro U21 tournament, and has never before reached the final.
- Admir Mehmedi netted his third goal of the tournament in extra time against the Czech Republic to help his team to progress to the final.
- Winger Xherdan Shaqiri has had 12 attempts off target so far in the tournament, more than double the amount of any other player.
- Shaqiri is, however, the tournament's most fouled player, alongside Spain's Javi Martinez.
Spain will be going for its third title at this level, having won in both 1986 and 1998.
Adrian Lopez is the leading scorer in this year's finals with five goals in four matches. He will move to Atletico Madrid from relegated Deportivo next month.
- Juan Mata is the tournament's leading assist-maker with two.
Diego Capel, Javi Martinez and Bojan Krkic are three of the top 10 most-capped Spanish players at this level, with 24, 23 and 21 appearances respectively.
- Both nations' participation in this final has guaranteed involvement in the 2012 Olympics in London.
Follow Goal.com on to get the latest soccer news directly. Check out Goal.com's page; be part of the best soccer fan community in the world!
Top 3 Predictions
Switzerland Under 21 0-2 Spain Under 21
- 17.24 %
Switzerland Under 21 2-1 Spain Under 21
- 14.1 %
Switzerland Under 21 1-3 Spain Under 21
- 13.79 %
|UEFA European U-21 Championship (EU21)||Sep 6, 2012||Switzerland Under 21 0 - Spain Under 21 0|
|UEFA European U-21 Championship (EU21)||Jun 25, 2011||Switzerland Under 21 0 - Spain Under 21 2|
|Switzerland Under 21|
|Nov 18, 2013||Switzerland Under 21 1 - Ukraine -21 2||EU21|
|Nov 14, 2013||Croatia Under 21 0 - Switzerland Under 21 2||EU21|
|Oct 14, 2013||Switzerland Under 21 0 - Croatia Under 21 2||EU21|
|Sep 9, 2013||Liechtenstein Under 21 0 - Switzerland Under 21 6||EU21|
|Sep 5, 2013||Latvia Under 21 0 - Switzerland Under 21 2||EU21|
|-||Nassim Ben Khalifa||Striker|
|1||David de Gea||Goalkeeper|
|-||Rubén Miño Peralta|
|-||Mikel San José Domínguez|