Bundesliga Preview: Schalke - Borussia Dortmund
Local rivals meet once more in the Ruhr derby. BVB is on a high after its midweek win against Bayern, while S04 has something to prove following its dismal loss to Nurnberg.
By Clark Whitney
Howedes, Matip, Papadopoulos, Fuchs
Farfan, Raul, Draxler
Piszczek, Subotic, Hummels, Schmelzer
Kuba, Kagawa, Grosskreutz
Schalke will be nearly at full strength on Saturday, with only goalkeepers Ralf Fahrmann and Timo Hildebrand sidelined with injuries. It is anticipated that Benedikt Howedes will move into a right back position, and that Christian Fuchs will return to play on the opposite side of defence.
Jermaine Jones' role as a midfield anchor is considered safe, but his partner in the center is uncertain with either Marco Hoger or Lewis Holtby set to fit in alongside the USA international.
Mario Gotze missed Wednesday's 1-0 win over Bayern, but is expected to be fit to feature as a substitute in the big derby. The youngster's return means that only long-term absentee Julian Koch will be out of action for the title holders.
Jurgen Klopp is expected to retain the core of his midweek starting XI, although there may be one change with Sven Bender replacing veteran Sebastian Kehl in defensive midfield.
||DID YOU KNOW|
- Schalke has dropped points just thrice at the Veltins-Arena this season (one draw, two losses).
- Klaas-Jan Huntelaar has been on target 43 times this season in all competitions. His 24 strikes in the Bundesliga are second only to Mario Gomez's count of 25.
- The most likely S04 starting line-up contains just two players born in the Ruhr area: Joel Matip and Julian Draxler.
- Dortmund has won two of the last three derby matches with Schalke. The other was a scoreless draw
- The last time BVB visited Gelsenkirchen, away fans staged a boycott due to increased ticket prices.
- Robert Lewandowski has scored four goals in as many games. His tally now stands at 25 in all competitions, plus 10 assists in 41 appearances
Top 3 Predictions
Schalke 04 1-3 Borussia Dortmund
- 17.41 %
Schalke 04 1-2 Borussia Dortmund
- 14.16 %
Schalke 04 2-1 Borussia Dortmund
- 12.97 %
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Mar 9, 2013||Schalke 04 2 - Borussia Dortmund 1|
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Oct 20, 2012||Borussia Dortmund 1 - Schalke 04 2|
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Apr 14, 2012||Schalke 04 1 - Borussia Dortmund 2|
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Nov 26, 2011||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Schalke 04 0|
|German Supercup (GERS)||Jul 23, 2011||Schalke 04 0 - Borussia Dortmund 0|
|May 18, 2013||Freiburg 1 - Schalke 04 2||GER1|
|May 11, 2013||Schalke 04 1 - Stuttgart 2||GER1|
|May 3, 2013||Mönchengladbach 0 - Schalke 04 1||GER1|
|Apr 28, 2013||Schalke 04 4 - Hamburger 1||GER1|
|Apr 20, 2013||Eintracht 1 - Schalke 04 0||GER1|
|17||Jefferson Agustin Farfán||Striker|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed