thumbnail Hello,


  • February 24, 2012
  • • 2:30 PM
  • • Stadion im BORUSSIA-PARK, Mönchengladbach
  • Referee: G. Perl
  • • Attendance: 54049

Borussia Monchengladbach 1-1 Hamburg: Tolgay Arslan strike limits Lucien Favre's side to a draw

Mike Hanke had put the hosts in front, but the Turk's effort shortly after the break ensured that both teams took a share of the points

Borussia Monchengladbach missed the chance to join Borussia Dortmund at the top of the Bundesliga table, recording a 1-1 draw at home against Hamburg.

The host took the lead on the stroke of half-time through Mike Hanke, but the visitors hit back soon after the break, with Tolgay Arslan smashing the ball past Marc-Andre ter Stegen.

The first half started off slowly, with both sides eager to give nothing away, but eventually, chances began to be crafted.

Hamburg had tame appeals for a penalty against Juan Arango turned down as the Venezuelan shoulder-barged Arslan, and it appeared as though the first half would end goalless.

It was not to be, however. Arango curled in a free-kick which Hanke met brilliantly, sending the ball into the bottom corner. Hamburg appealed for an offside, perhaps justifiably, but no such decision was forthcoming.

Far from being shell-shocked by falling behind so late in the first period, the visitors came out from the break with renewed vigor.

Some excellent defending from Brouwers prevented Guerrero from latching onto a set-piece, but from the resulting corner, Hamburg drew level. Guerrero met Aogo's delivery, padding the ball into Arslan's path. The Turk swiveled and blasted the ball into the bottom corner.

It took some time for Monchengladbach to get back into the match, but they nearly regained the lead with just 15 minutes remaining.

A loose ball broke to Havard Nordtveit on the edge of the box, but the Norwegian's powerful shot was well saved by Drobny.

Arango missed a great opportunity to clinch all three points in the dying moments, nodding Reus' corner comfortably wide after being found completely free in the area. It would prove to be the last real chance of the game, and referee Gunter Perl soon blew the whistle to signal full-time.

Hamburg had survived the barrage, and a victory for either Bayern Munich or Schalke on Sunday will see them overtake Monchengladbach in second place. The result sees HSV draw level on points with Wolfsburg, and into eighth place.

For all the latest action, check out the Fox Soccer Plus FREE Trial