Ligue 1 Preview: Olympique de Marseille - Paris Saint-Germain
The biggest game in the French football calendar takes center stage on Sunday evening at the Stade Velodrome with both sides desperate for a win after recent setbacks.
By Mohammed Ali
Azpilicueta, Diawara, N'Koulou, Morel
Lucho Gonzalez, Diarra, Cheyrou
Ayew, Remy, Valbuena
Ceara, Lugano, Sakho, Tiene
Menez, Pastore, Nene
Olympique de Marseille boss Didier Deschamps is likely to recall left back Jeremy Morel after the defender missed out in the midweek Champions League defeat to Olympiakos. The same goes for Cesar Azpilicueta, who had been dropped in favor of Charles Kabore on the right flank.
Lucho Gonzalez could also be in the frame for a start after being reduced to a cameo on Wednesday, and he could replace Jordan Ayew for the hotly contested Clasico. Stephane Mbia returned to competitive action on Wednesday, but a high-profile game could come too early for the Cameroonian, who is still short of being match fit.
Andre-Pierre Gignac will not feature against the Ligue 1 leader after an alleged bust-up with the manager left him relegated to the reserve squad.
Under fire Antoine Koumbouare has been told by sporting director Leonardo that his job is safe whatever the result at the Stade Velodrome on Sunday.
The PSG coach enjoys no injury concerns and will surely continue with the 4-2-3-1 formation which has seen the club top Ligue 1 after 14 games.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Olympique de Marseille sits 10th in Ligue 1 after collecting 18 points from 14 games.
- L'OM was defeated by Montpellier 1-0 last weekend, before going down to Olympiakos in the Champions League, delaying its progress to the last 16.
- The next goal OM scores in this fixture will be the club's 100th in the Derby de France.
- Marseille has recorded 30 wins in this fixture in the league over the years, dwarfing PSG's 18.
- Paris Saint-Germain was defeated 1-0 at home by Nancy on Sunday.
- Antoine Koumbouare's men sit joint top of Ligue 1 with 30 points so far.
- Les Parisiens will be keen to take revenge for their previous defeat away to Marseille, losing 2-1 in March.
- PSG has failed to keep a clean sheet in its previous 10 games against its arch-rival.
- Les Parisiens will be without their fans at the Stade Velodrome, after the LFP banned away support in this fixture due to a history of trouble. OM fans will be banned at the Parc des Princes when they next meet.
Top 3 Predictions
Marseille 1-2 PSG
- 24.23 %
Marseille 2-1 PSG
- 13.92 %
Marseille 1-3 PSG
- 9.79 %
|Ligue 1 (Lig1)||Mar 2, 2014||PSG 2 - Marseille 0|
|Ligue 1 (Lig1)||Oct 6, 2013||Marseille 1 - PSG 2|
|Coupe de France (FRAC)||Feb 27, 2013||PSG 2 - Marseille 0|
|Ligue 1 (Lig1)||Feb 24, 2013||PSG 2 - Marseille 0|
|Coupe de la Ligue (FRLC)||Oct 31, 2012||PSG 2 - Marseille 0|
|Apr 11, 2014||Montpellier HSC 2 - Marseille 3||Lig1|
|Apr 4, 2014||Marseille 3 - AC Ajaccio 1||Lig1|
|Mar 29, 2014||Sochaux 1 - Marseille 1||Lig1|
|Mar 22, 2014||Marseille 0 - Stade Rennais FC 1||Lig1|
|Mar 14, 2014||Stade de Reims 1 - Marseille 1||Lig1|
|-||Mohamed Lamine Sissoko||Midfielder|