Bundesliga Preview: Borussia Dortmund - Schalke
Saturday's Ruhr derby between the Bundesliga's second and fourth-placed teams is one of the most anticipated matches of the season in Germany, and Goal.com previews the action
By Stephen Crawford
Piszczek, Santana, Hummels, Schmelzer
Gotze/Perisic, Kagawa, Grosskreutz
Uchida, Papadopoulos, Matip, Fuchs
Baumjohann, Raul, Draxler
For Borussia Dortmund, Sven Bender suffered a horrific double injury during the Champions League match with Arsenal midweek; the holding midfielder fractured his jaw in two places as well as damaging a medial collateral ligament in his knee.
If Mario Gotze fails to shake off a leg injury, also sustained against the Gunners, expect Ivan Perisic to take his place.
Additionally, Julian Koch has torn ligaments, while Neven Subotic will miss out as he continues to recover from a facial injury sustained against Wolfsburg. In better news, Patrick Owomoyela should be fit enough to make the bench.
For the visitors, Ralf Fahrmann is continuing his recovery from a ligament injury, while skipper Benedikt Howedes and Jefferson Farfan are also sidelined, again with ligament damage.
Tim Hoogland, Peer Kluge and Levan Kenia are all set to miss the clash through injury, as well.
||DID YOU KNOW|
- If Borussia Monchengladbach's loses or draws at Koln, Schalke could move into second place with a win against the hosts.
- Klass-Jan Huntelaar is the second-top scorer in the Bundesliga at the moment with 12, just one goal behind Bayern Munich's Mario Gomez.
- Schalke is unbeaten in seven games coming into Saturday's fixture, while Dortmund's good run of form came to an end on Wednesday as it was defeated 2-1 by Arsenal.
- Schalke has not won at Signal Iduna Park since 2008, when a late Fabian Ernst goal decided the match after 82 minutes.
- BVB's Shinji Kagawa and Schalke's Atsuto Uchida were both handed their international debuts with Japan in the same year, for the 2008 Summer Olympics.
Top 3 Predictions
Borussia Dortmund 2-1 Schalke 04
- 19.51 %
Borussia Dortmund 1-2 Schalke 04
- 13.6 %
Borussia Dortmund 3-1 Schalke 04
- 11.95 %
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Oct 26, 2013||Schalke 04 1 - Borussia Dortmund 3|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Mar 9, 2013||Schalke 04 2 - Borussia Dortmund 1|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Oct 20, 2012||Borussia Dortmund 1 - Schalke 04 2|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Apr 14, 2012||Schalke 04 1 - Borussia Dortmund 2|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Nov 26, 2011||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Schalke 04 0|
|Dec 3, 2013||1. FC Saarbruecken 0 - Borussia Dortmund 2||GERC|
|Nov 30, 2013||Mainz 1 - Borussia Dortmund 3||BUN|
|Nov 26, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 3 - Napoli 1||UCL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 0 - Bayern 3||BUN|
|Nov 9, 2013||Wolfsburg 2 - Borussia Dortmund 1||BUN|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed