Bundesliga Preview: Bayern Munich - Bayer Leverkusen
Goal.com previews the action as Jupp Heynckes is set for a reunion with B04 when he leads his new side out against the club he left this summer.
By Vasil Kotsev
|Bayern Munich (4-2-3-1): Neuer; Rafinha, Boateng, Badstuber, Lahm; Tymoshchuk, Schweinsteiger; Muller, Kroos, Ribery; Gomez||
Arjen Robben is expected to play a part in the match after recovering from his back pains, but is unlikely to feature in the starting lineup. Brazilian Luiz Gustavo has shaken off the minor knock he picked up in the game against Schalke, but Heynckes may not risk him and Anatoliy Tymoshchuk is likely to deputize.
Center half Breno is not expected to take part in the game as he is still recovering, and is reportedly still in shock after his villa burned down earlier this week. Ivica Olic is recuperating and is not in contention for a starting place this weekend.
|Bayer Leverkusen (4-2-3-1): Leno; Castro, Reinartz, Toprak, Balitsch; Bender, Rolfes; Sam, Renato Augusto, Castro; Kiessling
The timing could hardly be worse for Bayer to face Bayern Munich at the Allianz-Arena as key players Michal Kadlec and Andre Schurrle are suspended for this game.
Bouncing back from the 1-4 drubbing by arch-rival Koln at the BayArena is made all the more difficult by the absence of Michael Ballack, Bastian Ozcipka, Michael Ortega, Tranquillo Barnetta, Fabian Giefer and Rene Adler, who are all sidelined with injuries and will not feature on Saturday.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Bayern Munich has not lost to Bayer Leverkusen in 13 games, picking up 10 wins and three draws.
- The Bavarians have conceded just one goal after the opening six matches, which is a new record for the team.
- When the two teams met at the Allianz Arena last season, Bayern won 5-1, courtesy of a hat trick by Mario Gomez, a strike by Franck Ribery, and an own-goal by Simon Rolfes.
- Bayer Leverkusen last won against the Bavarians seven years ago, when Klaus Augenthaler led the Aspirins to a 4-1 win.
- The Factory squad has been shut out 18 times by Bayern Munich, more than any other team.
- Current Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes coached the Aspirins for two years, molding the team into its current form. The Borussia Monchengladbach and Germany legend returned to Bayern Munich in the summer for his third coaching spell at the club.
Top 3 Predictions
Bayern 3-0 Leverkusen
- 28.85 %
Bayern 4-0 Leverkusen
- 16.67 %
Bayern 2-0 Leverkusen
- 16.21 %
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Oct 5, 2013||Leverkusen 1 - Bayern 1|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Mar 16, 2013||Leverkusen 1 - Bayern 2|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Oct 28, 2012||Bayern 1 - Leverkusen 2|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Mar 3, 2012||Leverkusen 2 - Bayern 0|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Sep 24, 2011||Bayern 3 - Leverkusen 0|
|Dec 10, 2013||Bayern 2 - Manchester City 3||UCL|
|Dec 7, 2013||Werder Bremen 0 - Bayern 7||BUN|
|Dec 4, 2013||FC Augsburg 0 - Bayern 2||GERC|
|Nov 30, 2013||Bayern 2 - Eintracht Braunschweig 0||BUN|
|Nov 27, 2013||CSKA Moscow 1 - Bayern 3||UCL|
|5||Daniel Van Buyten||Defender|
|20||D. da Costa||Defender|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed