Premier League Preview: Liverpool - Wigan
The Reds have lost four of their last five Premier League matches but face a side which has tasted victory just once in 14 top-flight fixtures
By Ed Tibbles
Carragher, Skrtel, Coates, Enrique
Henderson, Gerrard, Spearing, Downing
Stam, Caldwell, Alcaraz, Figueroa
Moses, MacArthur, Beausejour
Liverpool could be without its two first-choice right backs when it faces Wigan, as Glen Johnson (hamstring) and Martin Kelly, who picked up a knock in the game against QPR, look likely to miss out.
Daniel Agger is still nursing fractured ribs meaning the Reds defense which capitulated against QPR will most likely start here.
Charlie Adam is unlikely to recover from the knee injury which saw him substituted at halftime in Wednesday's loss meaning Jordan Henderson could start in his place.
The only major blow Wigan has suffered in the build-up to the game is the loss of out-of-form striker Hugo Rodellega due to a knee injury.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Liverpool has failed to beat Wigan in its last four meetings, losing one and drawing three.
- The Latics have only won once in 14 Premier League games.
- Wigan has picked up the second-lowest amount of points during 2012 (7), but Liverpool has the third-lowest points tally in that period (8).
- Liverpool has lost four of its last five Premier League matches, only beating Merseyside rivals Everton.
- However, the Reds' home record is bettered only by Manchester City - though they have drawn eight times at Anfield.
- Liverpool has a shot to goal conversion rate of 9.1 percent. The only side with a worse conversion rate is Wigan, which puts away 8.4 percent of its chances.
- Wigan has scored eight in its last 13 matches against Liverpool.
- Luis Suarez has won the most penalties this season (4).
- Meanwhile, Latics defender Gary Caldwell has given away the most (4).
Top 3 Predictions
Liverpool 3-0 Wigan Athletic
- 21.92 %
Liverpool 2-0 Wigan Athletic
- 16.51 %
Liverpool 2-1 Wigan Athletic
- 9.07 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 2, 2013||Wigan Athletic 0 - Liverpool 4|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Nov 17, 2012||Liverpool 3 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 24, 2012||Liverpool 1 - Wigan Athletic 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Dec 21, 2011||Wigan Athletic 0 - Liverpool 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Feb 12, 2011||Liverpool 1 - Wigan Athletic 1|
|Dec 7, 2013||Liverpool 4 - West Ham 1||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||Liverpool 5 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|Dec 1, 2013||Hull 3 - Liverpool 1||EPL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Everton 3 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|Nov 9, 2013||Liverpool 4 - Fulham 0||EPL|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed