Premier League Preview: Liverpool - Aston Villa
Kenny Dalglish’s team is in danger of dropping out of the top 10 following a poor run of results and needs a win against a Midlands outfit eager to avoid a relegation scrap.
By Shane Farrington
Flanagan, Carragher, Skrtel, Enrique
Henderson, Gerrard, Downing
Kuyt, Carroll, Suarez
Hutton, Lichaj, Collins, Warnock
Gardner, Ireland, Bannan
Albrighton, Heskey, Agbonlahor
Former Roma man Alexander Doni is likely to get the nod over Brad Jones in goal for the Reds with Jose Reina serving the first game of his three game ban following his dismissal against Newcastle United last weekend.
This is unlikely to be the last of the changes with Jonjo Shelvey and Jay Spearing likely to drop to the bench in favor of Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing. Dirk Kuyt could also get a chance to impress in place of Craig Bellamy.
Defenders Glen Johnson and Daniel Agger might make the bench with the possibility of starting their upcoming midweek Premier League match against Blackburn Rovers.
The visitors could make a couple of changes from the side that lost 4-2 at home to Chelsea. Marc Albrighton impressed coming off the bench and may well get a start. Emile Heskey could also get a start against his former club as Villa look for a more experience away from home.
Alan Hutton could recover from injury in time to start the match. Elsewhere a number of key players remain sidelined including Richard Dunne (fractured collarbone), Darren Bent (ankle ligaments) and Ciaran Clark (knee).
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Liverpool has only managed to win just two of the last 11 Premier League matches: 3-0 wins against both Wolves and Everton.
- The Reds' top league goalscorer is Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez, (pictured right), with seven goals.
- Liverpool has struggled to win its home matches in the league so far this season, managing just five wins from 15 matches.
- Kenny Dalglish’s side took all three points from the reverse fixture earlier in the season. A goal apiece from Craig Bellamy and Martin Skrtel saw the Reds secure a 2-0 victory on Dec. 18.
- Villa has only won once in its last nine visits to Anfield in the Premier League, a 3-1 win in the 2009-10 campaign.
- Alex McLeish’s side has scored just four times in the last six league matches, the lowest of all the sides in the Premier League.
- The Villans have won just one of their last eight Premier League games, leaving them just five points above the relegation zone.
- Aston Villa's last away win came back in Jan. 21 when it beat Wolves 3-2 at Molineux.
Top 3 Predictions
Liverpool 2-0 Aston Villa
- 17.93 %
Liverpool 2-1 Aston Villa
- 12.53 %
Liverpool 3-0 Aston Villa
- 12.3 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Aug 24, 2013||Aston Villa 0 - Liverpool 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 31, 2013||Aston Villa 1 - Liverpool 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Dec 15, 2012||Liverpool 1 - Aston Villa 3|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Apr 7, 2012||Liverpool 1 - Aston Villa 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Dec 18, 2011||Aston Villa 0 - Liverpool 2|
|Dec 7, 2013||Liverpool 4 - West Ham 1||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||Liverpool 5 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|Dec 1, 2013||Hull 3 - Liverpool 1||EPL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Everton 3 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|Nov 9, 2013||Liverpool 4 - Fulham 0||EPL|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed