Premier League Preview: Chelsea - Wigan Athletic
The Blues are bidding to keep the pressure on Spurs and Arsenal in the top four, with the Latics seeking three Premier League wins on the bounce for the first time since 2005.
By Joe Wright
Ferreira, Luiz, Cahill, Cole
Mikel, Lampard, Ramires,
Sturridge, Torres, Mata
Alcaraz, Boyce, Caldwell, Figueroa
McCarthy, Diame, McArthur, Beausejour
Skipper John Terry has insisted his willingness to play through the pain of a cracked rib but Roberto Di Matteo may choose to rest him for the game against the Latics.
John Obi Mikel is expected to complete a midfield trio alongside Frank Lampard and Ramires after a string of impressive performances in recent weeks from the Nigerian.
The Latics recall Mohamed Diame for the first time in three matches, as the combative midfielder has recovered from a groin problem.
Victor Moses may be given license to roam after his strike against Stoke City last week, with former Blues striker Franco Di Santo expected to lead the line in the absence of the injured Hugo Rodallega.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Chelsea has won five of the last seven meetings between the sides.
- Frank Lampard (pictured) needs one goal to reach 150 Premier League strikes (West Ham 24, Chelsea 125).
- Chelsea defeated the Latics 8-0 in the same fixture in 2010 - the very day it last lifted the Premier League trophy.
- Wigan has lost just one of its last eight matches - 2-0 defeat to Swansea.
- The Latics are chasing three consecutive wins for the first time since November 2005.
- Striker Franco Di Santo is likely to feature against his old club, although he has only managed four goals this season.
- The two sides drew 1-1 in the reverse fixture back in December, when Jordi Gomez struck two minutes from time to cancel out Daniel Sturridge's opener.
Top 3 Predictions
Chelsea 3-0 Wigan Athletic
- 25.39 %
Chelsea 3-1 Wigan Athletic
- 14.6 %
Chelsea 4-0 Wigan Athletic
- 11.25 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Feb 9, 2013||Chelsea 4 - Wigan Athletic 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Aug 19, 2012||Wigan Athletic 0 - Chelsea 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Apr 7, 2012||Chelsea 2 - Wigan Athletic 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Dec 17, 2011||Wigan Athletic 1 - Chelsea 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Apr 9, 2011||Chelsea 1 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|Dec 4, 2013||Sunderland 3 - Chelsea 4||EPL|
|Dec 1, 2013||Chelsea 3 - Southampton 1||EPL|
|Nov 26, 2013||Basel 1 - Chelsea 0||UCL|
|Nov 23, 2013||West Ham 0 - Chelsea 3||EPL|
|Nov 9, 2013||Chelsea 2 - West Bromwich 2||EPL|
|12||John Obi Mikel||Midfielder|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed