Premier League Preview: Wigan Athletic - Aston Villa
Two of the Premier League's most out of form sides meet with Roberto Martinez's men looking to move off the bottom of the table
By Matt Scott
Stam, Caldwell, Alcaraz, Figueroa
McCarthy, Watson, Diame, Bausejour
Hutton, Cuellar, Collins, Warnock
Albrighton, Ireland, Petrov, N'Zogbia
Villa will have to make do without Richard Dunne after the towering defender fractured his shoulder in the Villans' defeat against Manchester City two weeks ago. Alex McLeish is expected to call upon Carlos Cuellar, who has reportedly been recently offered a new contract, to replace the Irishman at the back.
Ciaran Clark is also unavailable due to a knee injury and McLeish may also have to do without Barry Bannan after the Scottish midfielder picked up an ankle knock while playing for Villa's reserves in mid-week.
Roberto Martinez has a fully fit and available squad to choose from and will need his side to perform at their fullest as they look to drag themselves off the bottom of the Premier League.
||DID YOU KNOW|
- Alex McLeish's side have been tough to beat on their travels this season but have drawn exactly half of their away games in the Premier League.
- Robbie Keane will play the last game of his loan-spell from LA Galaxy, only three players have outscored Keane for Aston Villa this season (Bent, Agbonlahor, Petrov).
- Gabriel Agbonlahor (pictured right) will make the 250th appearance of his club career if he makes an appearance.
- Wigan's home form has been dismal all season, picking up only one win in front of its own fans, a 2-0 triumph against QPR back in August.
- Roberto Martinez will be hoping for Hugo Rodallega to continue his slight return to form, after failing to find the net in the second half of 2011, the Colombian has netted twice in five games since the turn of the year.
- A win could see Wigan move from the bottom of the Premier League to outside the relegation places as they are only two points behind 17th placed Blackburn. Villa will be nervously looking over their shoulder in 15th, just seven points off the drop zone and woefully out of form.
- Wigan has failed to score more than one goal in its last six Premier League games at home.
Top 3 Predictions
Wigan Athletic 1-1 Aston Villa
- 17.86 %
Wigan Athletic 2-1 Aston Villa
- 10.71 %
Wigan Athletic 1-3 Aston Villa
- 10.71 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||May 19, 2013||Wigan Athletic 2 - Aston Villa 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Dec 29, 2012||Aston Villa 0 - Wigan Athletic 3|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Feb 25, 2012||Wigan Athletic 0 - Aston Villa 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Oct 1, 2011||Aston Villa 2 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||May 7, 2011||Aston Villa 1 - Wigan Athletic 1|
|May 19, 2013||Wigan Athletic 2 - Aston Villa 2||EPL|
|May 14, 2013||Arsenal 4 - Wigan Athletic 1||EPL|
|May 11, 2013||Manchester City 0 - Wigan Athletic 1||FA|
|May 7, 2013||Wigan Athletic 2 - Swansea City 3||EPL|
|May 4, 2013||West Bromwich 2 - Wigan Athletic 3||EPL|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
|24||Carlos Javier Cuéllar||Defender|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed