EPL Preview: Liverpool - Everton
The Reds go into the 217th Merseyside derby in poor league form, while the visitors are in higher spirits after Moyes' ten-year anniversary success against Tottenham
By John Stammers
Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Enrique
Kuyt, Henderson, Spearing, Downing
Neville, Heitinga, Distin, Baines
Osman, Coleman, Fellaini, Drenthe
Kenny Dalglish should be able to start Steven Gerrard, after the England midfielder returned to the bench against Sunderland, with Glen Johnson also likely to shake off a hamstring problem.
Everton fan Jamie Carragher could replace Sebastian Coates after the 21-year-old failed to impress in the loss against Martin O'Neill's men on Saturday. The Reds boss may drop Charlie Adam to keep Jay Spearing in the center of the park after the latter was arguably the hosts' best player against the Black Cats.
Nikica Jelavic is likely to keep his place up front for Everton after the former Rangers man netted in his debut against Tottenham on Saturday. Jack Rodwell returned to the bench for the game with Harry Redknapp's men and may play some part on Tuesday night.
Steven Pienaar is available again after the on-loan midfielder was ineligible for the win over his parent club, Spurs. The South African is likely to come back into the starting line-up as the visitors' only change.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Liverpool lost its third consecutive Premier League game against Sunderland on Saturday.
- It last lost four back-to-back Premier League games in the 2002-03 season with the Black Cats again being one of the teams it was defeated by.
- After 27 games this season, Dalglish's men have recorded the exact same number of points they had at this stage last campaign.
- The Reds won the first meeting between the two sides 2-0 at Goodison Park. The last time they did the derby double was in the 2009-10 season.
- Everton (28) is one of only four clubs to score less than Liverpool (30) this season. The others being Wigan (23), Stoke (27) and QPR (29).
- Rodwell was controversially sent off in the last meeting with the Reds [pictured], becoming the 21st player to be dismissed in the tie since the start of the Premier League, although the midfielder's red was later rescinded by the FA.
- Moyes' side will go above its Merseyside rivals if it wins at Anfield in the 217th derby on Tuesday.
- The last time the Toffees were awarded a penalty in a competitive game at Anfield was in 1988, which was converted by Wayne Clarke in a 1-1 draw.
- Out of the 216 derbies so far, Liverpool have won 86, Everton has triumphed on 66 occasions and there have been 64 draws.
Top 3 Predictions
Liverpool 2-0 Everton
- 17.74 %
Liverpool 2-1 Everton
- 13.92 %
Liverpool 3-1 Everton
- 8.76 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Nov 23, 2013||Everton 3 - Liverpool 3|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||May 5, 2013||Liverpool 0 - Everton 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Oct 28, 2012||Everton 2 - Liverpool 2|
|FA Cup (FA)||Apr 14, 2012||Liverpool 2 - Everton 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 13, 2012||Liverpool 3 - Everton 0|
|Dec 15, 2013||Tottenham 0 - Liverpool 5||EPL|
|Dec 7, 2013||Liverpool 4 - West Ham 1||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||Liverpool 5 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|Dec 1, 2013||Hull 3 - Liverpool 1||EPL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Everton 3 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed