Premier League Preview: Liverpool - Tottenham
The Reds have not beaten Monday's opponent since January 2010 and now look to overturn that form against the team 11 points above them in the Premier League standings.
By George Ankers
Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique
Gerrard, Spearing, Adam
Suarez, Carroll, Bellamy
Walker, Kaboul, King, Assou-Ekotto
Krancjar, Parker, Modric, Livermore, Bale
Liverpool is likely to welcome back two talismanic figures. Kenny Dalglish confirmed that captain Steven Gerrard will be in the squad to face Harry Redknapp's men, having missed the 3-0 drubbing of Wolves last time out. Forward Luis Suarez is also in line to return for the Reds having now served his nine-game suspension (eight of which were for using racist language toward Manchester United's Patrice Evra, the other for an obscene hand gesture to Fulham fans).
This should see Jordan Henderson drop out of the midfield with Jay Spearing continuing to deputize for Lucas, who is out for the season with a cruciate ligament injury. The Uruguayan striker takes the place of Dirk Kuyt up front, despite the Dutchman scoring at Molineux.
Rafael van der Vaart is a doubt for Tottenham after being forced off the pitch with a calf injury after half an hour of their deadline-day win over Wigan, with Jake Livermore a potential replacement to shore up the midfield in his absence. The Dutchman's participation is touch-and-go with Kyle Walker (groin) and Emmanuel Adebayor (hamstring) also being monitored. Jermain Defoe and Aaron Lennon (hamstring) are both considered unlikely to be fit.
Louis Saha and Ryan Nelsen, both signed at the end of the final day of the January transfer window, are available for selection and could make debuts at Anfield.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Liverpool has drawn seven of its 11 home league games so far this season though it remains unbeaten at Anfield.
- Tottenham has won six out of 11 on the road in the Premier League.
- Spurs have won the last three encounters between the two sides, with the reverse fixture at White Hart Lane in September of this season finishing 4-0 in their favor.
- Kenny Dalglish's side average 56 percent possession in the league so far in 2011-12.
- New Spurs signing Louis Saha (pictured right) could make his debut on Monday against the Reds - fierce rivals of his old club, Everton.
- So far, 37 percent of Liverpool's total shots on target in the league have come from outside the penalty area, while Spurs are in fact most accurate from range, with 53 percent of their on-target efforts from further distances.
- Tottenham currently tops the Premier League's Fair Play standings, having picked up a division-low 25 yellow cards and one red. Liverpool is joint-sixth on 33 and three, respectively.
- Craig Bellamy's goal against Wolves on Jan. 31 saw him overtake Luis Suarez as the Reds' top goalscorer for the season with nine strikes in all competitions compared to the Uruguayan's eight.
- Spurs have seen 31 percent of the league goals they've conceded scored between the 60th and 70th minutes of matches.
- Tottenham goalkeeper Brad Friedel made 31 appearances for Liverpool between 1997 and 2000.
How do you stay up to date with football when on the move? With http://m.goal.com – your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.
Top 3 Predictions
Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham
- 15.55 %
Liverpool 2-0 Tottenham
- 14.1 %
Liverpool 3-1 Tottenham
- 10.22 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 10, 2013||Liverpool 3 - Tottenham 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Nov 28, 2012||Tottenham 2 - Liverpool 1|
|Club Friendlies (FR)||Jul 28, 2012||Liverpool 0 - Tottenham 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Feb 6, 2012||Liverpool 0 - Tottenham 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Sep 18, 2011||Tottenham 4 - Liverpool 0|
|May 12, 2013||Fulham 1 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|May 5, 2013||Liverpool 0 - Everton 0||EPL|
|Apr 27, 2013||Newcastle 0 - Liverpool 6||EPL|
|Apr 21, 2013||Liverpool 2 - Chelsea 2||EPL|
|Apr 13, 2013||Reading 0 - Liverpool 0||EPL|
|25||José Reina Paez||Goalkeeper|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed