Premier League Preview: Chelsea - Aston Villa
The Londoners have endured three 1-1 results in consecutive Premier League outings and face a Midlands outfit which has registered just one win away from home so far.
By David Lynch
Ferreira, Terry, Luiz, Cole
Lampard, Meireles, Romeu
Mata, Torres, Sturridge
Hutton, Collins, Dunne, Warnock
Albrighton, Clark, Petrov, N'Zogbia
Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas may be forced into one defensive change against Villa, with fullback Jose Bosingwa unlikely to have recovered from a hamstring injury sustained against Fulham.
That could mean a starting berth for Paulo Ferreira and he will join a side containing Oriol Romeu, who looks to have cemented a place in midfield in the absence of Jon Obi Mikel.
For the visitors, Shay Given is unlikely to prove fit enough to feature, meaning Brad Guzan will continue to deputize in goal.
Alex McLeish will be boosted, however, by the return of Alan Hutton after the Scot served a one-match suspension for a red card.
Emile Heskey is unlikely to return from an achilles injury but reports suggest that Villa's main goal threat, Darren Bent, could overcome a thigh injury in time to feature.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- This fixture has provided an incredible 24 goals in its last four incarnations, including a 3-3 draw last season.
- Chelsea has conceded 13 goals at Stamford Bridge so far this season, as many as it conceded at home in the entirety of last term.
- Chelsea has the third most potent attack in the Premier League this season, behind both Manchester clubs, having scored 22 goals.
- Blues forward Fernando Torres (pictured right) could well end the year having netted more times in the Premier League in 2011 for Liverpool (four) than Chelsea (three) despite leaving Merseyside in January.
- Aston Villa last won at Stamford Bridge in May 2002, with Peter Crouch among the goalscorers.
- Alex McLeish tasted success over Chelsea last season, with a 1-0 as manager of Birmingham City.
- Villa has drawn six of its nine away fixtures this season, more than any other Premier League side.
Top 3 Predictions
Chelsea 3-0 Aston Villa
- 18.55 %
Chelsea 1-2 Aston Villa
- 17.32 %
Chelsea 2-0 Aston Villa
- 16.8 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 15, 2014||Aston Villa 1 - Chelsea 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Aug 21, 2013||Chelsea 2 - Aston Villa 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||May 11, 2013||Aston Villa 1 - Chelsea 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Dec 23, 2012||Chelsea 8 - Aston Villa 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 31, 2012||Aston Villa 2 - Chelsea 4|
|Apr 13, 2014||Swansea City 0 - Chelsea 1||EPL|
|Apr 8, 2014||Chelsea 2 - PSG 0||UCL|
|Apr 5, 2014||Chelsea 3 - Stoke 0||EPL|
|Apr 2, 2014||PSG 3 - Chelsea 1||UCL|
|Mar 29, 2014||Crystal Palace 1 - Chelsea 0||EPL|
|24||Carlos Javier Cuéllar||Defender|