Premier League Preview: Newcastle United - Swansea City
Alan Pardew's side looks to get its season back on track after recent struggles at the Sports Direct Arena against an opponent which has an awful record on the road.
By Simon Sinclair
Simpson, Perch, Coloccini, Santon
Obertan, Cabaye, R Taylor, Gutierrez
Richards, Williams, Caulker, Taylor
Britton, Gower, Allen
Sinclair, Dyer, Graham
Newcastle has been decimated by injuries over the past few weeks and will be missing key players Steven Taylor, who’s out for the season, and Cheikh Tiote who may have to wait a bit longer to make his comeback. Skipper Fabricio Coloccini should be back this weekend to boost the Magpies defensive options and could be joined by Mike Williamson, who is fit again, although talk of a first team appearance could be premature. Dan Gosling is suspended following his dismissal at Norwich last week so the versatile Ryan Taylor could move from defense to midfield. Danny Simpson will move back to his regular right back slot after filling in at center back last week.
Swansea will be boosted by the return of Joe Allen after he missed last week’s 2-0 victory over Fulham as he was suspended. The shape of the team should change as well with Luke Moore and Leroy Lita dropping to the bench as Rodgers could switch to a 4-3-3 system for the trip to the Sports Direct Arena. Danny Graham should come back into the team following his scoring return from injury last week, and will be flanked by Nathan Dyer and Scott Sinclair. While the back four should stay the same after shutting out Fulham at the Liberty Stadium.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Newcastle has lost just once this season at home – in its last game at the Sports Direct Arena against Chelsea.
- Demba Ba (pictured right) has netted 11 times this season. The Senegalese striker is joint second in the goalscoring charts in the Premier League, with only Robin van Persie having scored more.
- The Magpies have gone four games without a win – their longest spell without a victory this season.
- After a solid start to the campaign defensively, Alan Pardew’s side has failed to keep a clean sheet in its past six games.
- Swansea has the worst away record in the Premier League and has yet to win a game away from the Liberty Stadium. Just two of the team's 17 points have come on its travels.
- The Swans have kept the most clean sheets in the division with seven so far this season.
- Brendan Rodgers’ side has conceded the second most amount of goals away from home with 18. Only Blackburn (19) has shipped more.
- Swansea has lost on its last three trips to Tyneside. The team's last victory at Newcastle came in 1980 with a 2-1 result.
Top 3 Predictions
Newcastle 2-0 Swansea City
- 20.53 %
Newcastle 2-1 Swansea City
- 17.87 %
Newcastle 3-1 Swansea City
- 15.2 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Dec 4, 2013||Swansea City 3 - Newcastle 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 2, 2013||Swansea City 1 - Newcastle 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Nov 17, 2012||Newcastle 1 - Swansea City 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Apr 6, 2012||Swansea City 0 - Newcastle 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Dec 17, 2011||Newcastle 0 - Swansea City 0|
|Dec 7, 2013||Manchester United 0 - Newcastle 1||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||Swansea City 3 - Newcastle 0||EPL|
|Nov 30, 2013||Newcastle 2 - West Bromwich 1||EPL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Newcastle 2 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|Nov 10, 2013||Tottenham 0 - Newcastle 1||EPL|
|10||Hatem Ben Arfa||Midfielder|