Premier League Preview: Norwich City - Newcastle United
The hosts were thumped 5-1 away to Manchester City last week, while the visitors were thwarted 3-0 by Chelsea on their own turf, and both clubs aim to bounce back at Carrow Road
By George Ankers
Naughton, R Martin, Barnett, Tierney
Bennett, Johnson, Crofts, Pilkington
Simpson, Perch, Kadar, R Taylor
Obertan, Cabaye, Gosling, Gutierrez
First-choice center backs Fabricio Coloccini (ankle) and Steven Taylor (Achilles) have both been hit by injuries for the away side. Alan Pardew may yet decide to risk Coloccini, who is doubtful, at Carrow Road after Taylor was ruled out for the rest of the season, but if, as seems most likely, the Argentine is not risked, then a makeshift partnership of James Perch and Tamas Kadar, the latter not even having a squad number, is expected to line up for the Magpies. Midfielder Danny Guthrie will miss a month's action with a groin injury picked up during last week's 3-0 loss at the hands of Chelsea, while Cheikh Tiote remains absent due to a knee ligament problem.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Norwich City is one of only two sides, the other being Blackburn, who is yet to keep a clean sheet in any competition this season.
- Thirty-two league games have gone by since the Canaries last took part in a goalless draw.
- Norwich striker Grant Holt has come off the bench in five of the hosts' last six games, scoring a result-altering goal on three of those occasions.
- Paul Lambert's side have conceded more goals in the last 15 minutes of league games (including added time) than in any other period of play, with seven let in late so far this season.
- Newcastle United has conceded just seven goals away from home in the Premier League so far, less than half the Canaries' record, which is currently 16.
- The Magpies' striker Demba Ba (pictured right) is currently joint-fourth in the Premier League's scoring charts, equal on nine strikes along with Wayne Rooney and Yakubu.
- Newcastle's most common time to concede is in the final 15 minutes of the first half, having seen six goals conceded in that period - while Norwich have been most prolific in that very time, netting five before the break so far.
Top 3 Predictions
Norwich City 1-2 Newcastle
- 18.49 %
Norwich City 0-2 Newcastle
- 15.81 %
Norwich City 1-1 Newcastle
- 12.47 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Nov 23, 2013||Newcastle 2 - Norwich City 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Jan 12, 2013||Norwich City 0 - Newcastle 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Sep 23, 2012||Newcastle 1 - Norwich City 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 18, 2012||Newcastle 1 - Norwich City 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Dec 10, 2011||Norwich City 4 - Newcastle 2|
|Dec 7, 2013||West Bromwich 0 - Norwich City 2||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||Liverpool 5 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|Nov 30, 2013||Norwich City 1 - Crystal Palace 0||EPL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Newcastle 2 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|Nov 9, 2013||Norwich City 3 - West Ham 1||EPL|
|10||Hatem Ben Arfa||Midfielder|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed