Premier League Preview: Manchester United - Newcastle United
Sir Alex Ferguson's charges have a fantastic record against their opponent in the past few years, as the team is currently undefeated in the last 17 league meetings.
By Adithya Ananth
Jones, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra
Nani, Fletcher, Carrick, Park
Simpson, Taylor, Coloccini, Taylor
Ameobi, Cabaye, Guthrie, Gutirrez
Meanwhile, Wayne Rooney and Danny Welbeck are slight doubts for the encounter at Old Trafford but either could start alongside Javier Hernandez.
Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew will have to make do without Sylvain Marveaux, who is out with a groin injury. Michael Williamson (ankle) joins the Frenchman in the treatment room. Nile Ranger and James Tavernier are also unavailable, as the duo have gone out on loan to Barnsley and Sheffield Wednesday respectively.
Leon Best, Gabriel Obertan and Cheick Tiote are all doubts for this game.
||DID YOU KNOW|
- Manchester United is undefeated in its last 17 matches against Newcastle United in the Premier League.
- Barring Manchester City (42), the Red Devils have scored the most goals in the top-flight, with 29.
- But in the club's last five matches in the league, Sir Alex Ferguson's men have scored only one goal in each game. This includes the draw with Liverpool and the loss to City.
- Newcastle United has never beaten this opponent at Old Trafford in Premier League history.
- But the team is well positioned to rewrite history books, since it is currently placed fourth in the standings. Moreover, the team has lost to only one team in the top flight this season, which came in the form of a 3-1 defeat at Eastlands in the last round of games.
- Alan Pardew's men may have conceded three goals in their last league clash, but they still remain a miserly defense. Along with Liverpool and Manchester City, the club has conceded the joint fewest number of goals so far (11).
Top 3 Predictions
Manchester United 2-0 Newcastle
- 23.76 %
Manchester United 3-1 Newcastle
- 13.55 %
Manchester United 2-1 Newcastle
- 12.89 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Dec 26, 2012||Manchester United 4 - Newcastle 3|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Oct 7, 2012||Newcastle 0 - Manchester United 3|
|Capital One Cup (CCUP)||Sep 26, 2012||Manchester United 2 - Newcastle 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Jan 4, 2012||Newcastle 3 - Manchester United 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Nov 26, 2011||Manchester United 1 - Newcastle 1|
|May 12, 2013||Manchester United 2 - Swansea City 1||EPL|
|May 5, 2013||Manchester United 0 - Chelsea 1||EPL|
|Apr 28, 2013||Arsenal 1 - Manchester United 1||EPL|
|Apr 22, 2013||Manchester United 3 - Aston Villa 0||EPL|
|Apr 17, 2013||West Ham 2 - Manchester United 2||EPL|
|1||David de Gea||Goalkeeper|
|20||Fabio Da Silva||Defender|
|10||Hatem Ben Arfa||Midfielder|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed