thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • November 19, 2011
  • • 10:00 AM
  • • Bet365 Stadium, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire
  • Referee: M. Jones
  • • Attendance: 27618

Stoke City 2-3 QPR: Helguson double settles thriller to hand hosts fourth straight Premier League defeat

The Potters' terrible form continued with a surprise defeat to the Hoops as a great performance from the London outfit saw the Staffordshire side undone yet again.

Stoke City fell to their fourth straight defeat at the hands of QPR thanks to a brace from Heidar Helguson in the 3-2 decision on Saturday.

Luke Young also scored for QPR, while Jonathan Walters and Ryan Shawcross had the two goals for the visiting squad.

Stoke's loss follows the humiliating defeat to Bolton just before the international break and allowed the visitors to further their reputation on their return to the top flight.

Walters put Stoke ahead early on and the Potters looked to be in a positive mood, but goals from Helguson and Young saw the away side go into break 2-1 to the good.

QPR came back out looking even stronger and grabbed a third through Helguson’s second, before Stoke doubled its tally thanks to Shawcross’ close-range header.

Stoke began the game in good spirits, winning a handful of corners early on and it wasn’t long until they broke the deadlock.

Crouch storming through the middle laid the ball forward for the handle bar moustache donned Walters to sneak through the QPR back two and struck cleanly into the far corner and past a helpless and outstretched Paddy Kenny.

It was the former Liverpool and Tottenham man that nearly got Stoke’s second following a defensive nightmare between Kenny and his defender. The forward snuck through on the angle, but was denied by the Irishman’s floundering save and his center back’s goal-line clearance.

QPR began to press and deserved a well set up equalizer, with Alejandro Faurlin bursting down the left flank to drift in a lofted ball towards the unmarked Helguson, who headed without pressure straight past a defeated Sorenson.

A flurry of corners and set-pieces from both sides threatened to upset the balance between the two outfits, but not one effort could be turned into a proper shot on target, with Stoke perhaps going the closest.

QPR once again pilled the pressure on the Potters and earned itself another goal that would see it enter the break in the lead.

A lovely ball from Shaun Wright-Phillips combined with tenacious work from Jamie Mackie on the right-hand side allowed the latter to pop ball onto the penalty spot for an ambitious Young and he didn’t disappoint with his half-volleyed effort that flew past Sorenson.

Matters got worse for the Potters just 10 minutes into the second half. A searching ball from out left drifted all the way to the back stick where Helguson had managed to get ahead of marker Shawcross and slid in to put the ball past a bemused Sorenson.

However, Shawcross was able to make up for that silly mistake earlier and popped up just two yards from the QPR goal-line to head in a lifeline for his team who had managed looked a bit brighter since the restart, despite that early third goal.

The game began to get heated thanks to a flurry of clumsy challenges and raised tempers as Stoke pushed desperately for its third and pressed QPR right until the end of the game, going close on a number of occasions. However, it was the Potters’ lack of shots on target that was their downfall and needed to be a little more clinical in front of goal.

Follow on to get the latest soccer news directly. Check out's page; be part of the best soccer fan community in the world!