Premier League Preview: Aston Villa - Wigan Athletic
The Latics will be looking to end the Villans' unbeaten start to the season, with the Midlands club having shared the spoils five times.
By Joel Lamy
Hutton, Dunne, Collins, Warnock
Ireland, Petrov, Delph
N’Zogbia, Agbonlahor, Bannan
Lopez, Caldwell, Figueroa, Van Aanholt McCarthy, Diame, Watson
Gomez, Di Santo, Moses
Hugo Rodallega could face three months out with knee ligament damage and Roberto Martinez will have to make do without Antonin Alcarez, who has a thigh strain, and Emmerson Boyce with a hamstring injury.
Steve Gohouri is suspended for this match after his red card against Tottenham Hotspur.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Aston Villa has only lost one match out of eight in all competitions this season – against Bolton in the League Cup – but the club has only won twice – at home to Blackburn Rovers and Hereford.
- Villa has the second best defense alongside both Manchester clubs, having only conceded five goals. Only Newcastle (with three goals) has let in less.
- The only two teams to win at Villa Park in the Premier League in 2011 are Sunderland and Wolves.
- Gabriel Agbonlahor (pictured right) is the only Villa player to score more than one goal in all competitions this season, with three to his name. Mohammed Diame was only the third player to score for Wigan in all competitions this season after his goal against Tottenham last weekend.
- Richard Dunne’s own goal against QPR last week was his ninth in the Premier League, which is three more than Jamie Carragher, who has the second worst record.
- Wigan has suffered four consecutive losses in all competitions.
- The Latics have scored six goals from seven matches in all competitions. The only game they scored more than one goal in was the only match they have won – a 2-0 home victory against QPR.
- In last year’s fixture, it was 1-1 at Villa Park, while Villa triumphed 2-1 at the DW Stadium.
- Villa has never won a home league match against Wigan in six attempts, with three matches ending as a draw. The only time Villa has beaten Wigan was a 5-0 League Cup win in 1994.
- Only once in 12 league meetings has the home side emerged triumphant in this fixture – Wigan’s 3-2 win in 2006.
Top 3 Predictions
Aston Villa 2-0 Wigan Athletic
- 21.26 %
Aston Villa 1-0 Wigan Athletic
- 19.32 %
Aston Villa 2-1 Wigan Athletic
- 19.32 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||May 19, 2013||Wigan Athletic 2 - Aston Villa 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Dec 29, 2012||Aston Villa 0 - Wigan Athletic 3|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Feb 25, 2012||Wigan Athletic 0 - Aston Villa 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Oct 1, 2011||Aston Villa 2 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||May 7, 2011||Aston Villa 1 - Wigan Athletic 1|
|Mar 2, 2014||Aston Villa 4 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|Feb 23, 2014||Newcastle 1 - Aston Villa 0||EPL|
|Feb 11, 2014||Cardiff City 0 - Aston Villa 0||EPL|
|Feb 8, 2014||Aston Villa 0 - West Ham 2||EPL|
|Feb 1, 2014||Everton 2 - Aston Villa 1||EPL|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|52||Patrick van Aanholt||Defender|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed