thumbnail Hello,


  • June 18, 2011
  • • 10:30 PM
  • • Stubhub Center, Carson, California
  • Referee: E. Jurisevic
  • • Attendance: 11253

Chivas USA 1-2 FC Dallas: Clinical FCD heads back to Texas with three points

Chivas USA 1-2 FC Dallas: Clinical FCD heads back to Texas with three points

Victor Decolongon

A clinical Dallas side claimed all three points thanks to Jackson's first goal of the season, an 86th minute strike which stunned the Goats.

FC Dallas did not need many opportunities on Saturday night, because when it got them, it took them.

Chivas USA lost its second in as many weeks, this time a 2-1 reverse at home in the Home Depot Center. Brek Shea scored for the second time in as many games, and late substitute Jackson knocked in the game-winner in the closing minutes of the match.

With both teams aiming to rebound from a losing effort in the previous week, they both started the game up-tempo. Chivas USA got going quicker. Just like last week, forward Marcos Mondaini broke away from the opposing defenders. However, unlike that game, he did not score, as his shot landed directly in Kevin Hartman's hands.

The Goats continued their aggression, and they held possession for much of the first 25 minutes. But Chivas' defense let its guard down momentarily, and FC Dallas capitalized. Just moments after being called offside, Brek Shea scored the game's first goal. Andrew Jacobson hit a surging Shea, and Shea, with his left foot, knocked it past keeper Dan Kennedy on the far post.

FC Dallas' defense slowed Chivas USA down for the remainder of the first half. Following Shea's goal, a shot attempt by Nick LaBrocca was the only true opportunity Chivas had to level the score before the half. Even with most of the possession throughout the half, Chivas USA entered halftime down 1-0.

Coming out of the break, FC Dallas sprung forward and controlled play. Both Fabian Castillo and Eric Alexander had shots early that nearly went in. Chivas USA's first real attempt came 65 minutes in, as Nick LaBrocca had his second near goal of the game, with this shot sizzling to the side of the post.

Then the substitutions started to roll in, as Chivas brought on Ben Zemanski, Tristan Bowen, and Chris Cortez. FC Dallas counteracted with Bobby Warshaw and Jackson.

In the midst of the array of changes, the crowd had a lot more to cheer for other than the new players, as Chivas tied the game up. Michael Lahoud took the rebound from a corner kick and from 20 yards out knocked it past a late diving Kevin Hartman in the 71st minute.

After tying it up, the game started to get a little more out of control, with the referee blowing his whistle frequently. Tempers started to flare as Marvin Chavez and Simon Elliott bumped heads in the 77th minute. The official issued a double yellow before the situation worsened.

Goats goalkeeper Dan Kennedy followed this up with an inconsistent ten minutes, as he had arguably the play of the game, and the mistake of the game. He should be proud of the save he made on a Daniel Hernandez free kick, just stretching out to get his fingertips on the ball. But moments later, Kennedy was late to recover on a defensive breakdown, and Jackson took advantage to score his first goal of the season. This broke the tie in the 86th minute, and proved the game winner.

Chivas USA will now look to put a stop to the two-game losing streak as it travels east to take on the Philadelphia Union at PPL Park in a week. It remains in the bottom half of the Western Conference with 17 points. FC Dallas will look to build on this win as it heads back home to face the Portland Timbers next Saturday. With the win, it remains tied with Seattle in second place in the West.

Keep updated with Major League Soccer by visiting's MLS page and joining's page.