thumbnail Hello,


  • May 7, 2011
  • • 8:30 PM
  • • Toyota Park, Bridgeview, Illinois
  • Referee: A. Chapin
  • • Attendance: 11680

Chicago Fire 0-0 Vancouver Whitecaps: All even at Toyota Park

Chicago Fire 0-0 Vancouver Whitecaps: All even at Toyota Park

Getty Images

Both teams extend lengthy winless streaks.

BRIDGEVIEW, IL -- On a cool Saturday evening at Toyota Park, the Chicago Fire and the Vancouver Whitecaps played to a scoreless draw. The result extends the Fire's winless streak to six games and the Whitecaps' to seven.

First Half:

The match started out with the home side holding on to possession well, creating a goal scoring opportunity in only the second minute of play. That was quickly followed by a dangerous Whitecaps breakaway that was quickly ended with a Mikulic tackle, earning him the first yellow of the game. It was bound to be an exciting game after the first couple chances and with both sides sitting on six points, wins are a priority for both teams.

After a series of neat one-touch passing in the 12th minute, Alain Rochat took a good whack at goal from 25 yards out. The ball never bothered Conway but it was a solid chance nonetheless.

Five minutes later, the Fire found Daniel Paladini wide open on the right flank, and he played an open Diego Chaves. However the Uruguayan stalled too long in front of Nolly before losing the ball.

Another goal scoring chance for the Fire came in the 32nd minute. Dominic Oduro did well to dribble through three Whitecaps defenders but shot it well over the bar when finding himself one on one with Jay Nolly.

Chances continued coming but once again the Fire broke out with the closest one in the 44th minute. Dominic Oduro played a well-driven ball to Marco Pappa at the top of the box who slotted it left to Chaves, with Chaves's effort just skimming the far post.

It was a nail-biting half for Fire fans but it stayed nil-nil as both teams went into the locker room.

Second Half:

The second half began with the Fire looking to continue their ongoing momentum from the ending minutes of the first half but that only lasted for so long. With stubborn Whitecaps back line, it was tough to create too many opportunities.

Ten minutes into the second half, Shea Salinas was introduced to the game in hopes of adding more attacking depth for the Whitecaps.

As the game progressed, neither side were able to create too many opportunities. Sluggish play was apparent in the midfield and tensions rose when Chaves was involved in a mini brawl with a couple Whitecaps defenders.

The first real chance of the second half came in the 75th minute for the Whitecaps. Eric Hassli received a well driven through ball just outside the box, finding himself in a one on one situation with Jon Conway, but he thought about it for too long before surrendering the ball to Conway, who got every little bit of it right.

The Fire continued pushing but forced too many balls down the middle. Dominic Oduro was arguably Chicago's man of the match after being involved in a large majority of the Fire's opportunities.

As expected, the last ten minutes of the half were pretty hectic but again, little came of it.

Neither side were able to break their extended winless streaks and will have to look to next week's fixtures for success.

For more on Major League Soccer, visit's MLS page and join USA's Facebook fan page!