thumbnail Hello,


  • April 16, 2011
  • • 4:00 PM
  • • Talen Energy Stadium, Chester, Pennsylvania
  • Referee: T. Vaughn
  • • Attendance: 15149

Philadelphia Union 1-1 Seattle Sounders: Rivals End Up Even

Philadelphia Union 1-1 Seattle Sounders: Rivals End Up Even


Seattle picks up an important road point.

The match could be exactly like the weather Philadelphia was experiencing: It was raining, it was windy, and it was cold. In a word, it was ugly. The match would be much of the same, as the Seattle Sounders and Philadelphia Union tied 1-1.

With the rain stopping and starting throughout, neither team could find their touches and sloppy play would be a common theme.

First Half

The ugly play was kicked off in the first half. Neither team could really possess that ball in the weather and on the beat-up pitch. They ball spend the majority of the time either in the air or out of bounds.

The first real chance came 5 minutes into the match when Seattle was able to work the ball around the Union defense and find Friberg for an open shot on the right side of the box that was blocked by Jordan Harvey.

The Union answered back in the 16th minute when a Keon Daniel corner kick fell to a wide-open Kyle Nakazawa’s foot inside the area, but his shot went wide.

The Union drew first blood in the 32nd minute after Alonso’s foul on Nakazawa resulted in a Carlos Ruiz free kick that was deflected in the wall and spun away from Keller and into the back of the net.

Second Half

In the 50th minute Le Toux saw his chance to end his scoring drought when Ruiz settled and played Le Toux who was streaking toward the net, but he saw his struggles continue after his shot went right into the gut of Keller.

Amobi Okugo, who replaced injured Brian Carroll, saw a ball come to him from 30 yards out in the 60th minute. He took his shot but Keller dealt with it well once again.

Philadelphia would sub in Danny Mwanga to try and get a second goal in the 63rd minute, but after seven minutes without a real chance, the Union would drop in and defend, a move that would eventually hurt the Eastern Conference leaders.

Seattle saw their chance to equalize in the 69th minute when substitute Freddy Montero served a free kick into the box that pin balled around but was eventually cleared by Harvey.

It wouldn’t take long for Seattle to create another chance. Just two minute later, Rosales found himself clear of the defense, but his cross was too high for his counterparts and fell harmlessly outside the box.

Seattle was robbed of a goal in the 78th minute when a deflected shot from Montero fell right to the foot of Fernandez, but Danny Califf blocked it off the line to keep the Union lead in tact.

Seattle would finally break through when Montero would find Alvaro Fernandez, who headed the ball off the post and in. It was the first time this season the Union surrendered the backbreaking goal late in the game.

The final whistle would blow, ending the game in a 1-1 draw. It was sloppy, it was ugly, and in the end it was two less-than-perfect goals that would decide the match.

With the draw, the Sounders earned a point and continued their point streak. The Union continued their early season success and have started to make believers out of their critics.

Both teams play on April 22nd with Philadelphia’s next match being at home against San Jose; Seattle continues their road trip with their next stop in Colorado.

Follow on to get the latest soccer news directly. Check out's page; be part of the best soccer fan community in the world!