Euro 2012 Qualifying Group H Preview: Cyprus - Iceland, Norway - Denmark
In Group H, bottom two sides Cyprus and Iceland will both be looking for a kick-start while Norway and Denmark will be contending the highly-anticipated Scandinavian derby...
By Luke Matthews
Click here to watch LIVE and on demand International matches online at www.Foxsoccer.tv. (For US customers only)
Cyprus - Iceland
- This is the first time the nations will have met in a competitive fixture, with three friendlies being played out between the two sides in the past.
- Cyprus have never beaten Iceland in three attempts, with the sides' last meeting ending in a 0-0 draw in Larnaca just over a year ago.
- The Cypriots currently sit in fourth place with their only point coming in the shock 4-4 draw with European giants Portugal back in September.
- Iceland picked up a respectable away draw in the teams' first ever meeting back in 1991 with Thorvaldur Orlygsson cancelling out Charalambos Pittas.
- Olafur Johannesson's men recorded a 2-1 victory over Cyprus in 1996.
Midfielder Christos Marangos and defender Paraskevas Christou will definitely miss the game with injuries while captain Ionnis Okkas and top scorer Michael Constantinou are major doubts. Veteran Marios Satsias will miss the game through a one-match suspension.
Iceland are expected to name their strongest starting line-up with no injury concerns. Young striker Aron Johannsson is in line to make his debut.
Norway - Denmark
- Norway have met their Scandinavian rivals on 82 occasions, winning 20, drawing 11 and losing 50.
- In his previous stint as national team coach, Egil Olsen came up against Denmark three times, winning two of the encounters, including an impressive 2-0 victory in Copenhagen back in 1998.
- The home side are currently the only unbeaten side in Group H and, with Portugal not playing over the weekend, victory would see Olsen's men stretch their lead to five points.
- The two nations first met in Sweden during the 1912 Olympics, with Denmark running out 7-0 winners.
- Since then the sides have only met in four official qualifiers, with Denmark winning three including a thumping 5-1 away victory for World Cup 1986 qualification. Norway earned a point back in 2002 with a 2-2 draw.
- Victory for Denmark would see them leapfrog Portugal and Norway to the top of the group on goal difference.
Jon Knudsen misses the game with a broken finger, while John Carew has also been withdrawn from the squad through injury so veteran striker Steffen Iversen could make his 79th appearance for Norway.
Stephan Andersen and Jakob Poulsen have received international recalls after shaking off injuries although Nicklas Bendtner will undergo a late fitness test after picking up an ankle knock earlier in the week.Follow Goal.com on to get the latest soccer news directly. Check out Goal.com's page; be part of the best soccer fan community in the world!
Top 3 Predictions
Cyprus 1-0 Iceland
- 22.92 %
Cyprus 2-1 Iceland
- 20.83 %
Cyprus 0-0 Iceland
- 14.58 %
|WCQ 2014 (UEFA) (WCQE)||Oct 11, 2013||Iceland 2 - Cyprus 0|
|WCQ 2014 (UEFA) (WCQE)||Sep 11, 2012||Cyprus 1 - Iceland 0|
|European Championship Qualification 2012 (EC)||Sep 6, 2011||Iceland 1 - Cyprus 0|
|European Championship Qualification 2012 (EC)||Mar 26, 2011||Cyprus 0 - Iceland 0|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Mar 3, 2010||Cyprus 0 - Iceland 0|
|Mar 5, 2014||Cyprus 0 - No. Ireland 0||FR|
|Oct 15, 2013||Cyprus 0 - Albania 0||WCQE|
|Oct 11, 2013||Iceland 2 - Cyprus 0||WCQE|
|Sep 10, 2013||Cyprus 0 - Slovenia 2||WCQE|
|Sep 6, 2013||Norway 2 - Cyprus 0||WCQE|
|-||Stefán Logi Magnússon|
|-||Kristjan Orn Sigurdsson|
|17||Aron Einar Gunnarsson||Midfielder|
|-||Helgi Valur Danielsson||Midfielder|
|9||Olafur Ingi Skulason||Midfielder|