Euro 2012 Qualifier Preview: Faroe Islands - Italy
Cesare Prandelli's side will be hoping to build upon its fine 2-1 friendly win over Spain last month with a convincing display against Brian Kerr's minnows.
By Livio Caferoglu
Faroe Islands (4-4-2): Mikkelsen; Tor Naes, Davidsen, Baldvinsson, Gregersen; Holst, Udsen, Olsen, Benjaminsson; Edmundsson, Elttor
A near-identical squad to the one that traveled to Northern Ireland has been picked by Brian Kerr, so it is likely that he will keep faith in his players and maintain the same lineup.
|Italy (4-3-1-2): Buffon; Maggio, Ranocchia, Chiellini, Criscito; Montolivo, De Rossi, Pirlo; Aquilani; Cassano, Rossi|
Coach Cesare Prandelli is likely to make just the single change from the team that started Italy's 2-1 victory over Spain earlier in the month, as Thiago Motta is set to be replaced by Riccardo Montolivo. However, the Fiorentina playmaker should drop into midfield, with Alberto Aquilani expected to take the baton as the trequartista in the side.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Italy is five points clear at the top of Group C, while the Faroe Islands is bottom, three points adrift of Estonia.
- However, the host side has taken points from two of its last three qualifiers on home soil, including a 2-0 win over Estonia in June.
- Brian Kerr's men lost 5-0 when these sides first met in Florence on September 7 last year.
- The Faroe Islands has lost all four previous meetings with Italy, with three away defeats and one at home.
- Their first meeting came in Torshavn in June 2007, when Italy dug out a 2-1 victory, courtesy of a Filippo Inzaghi brace.
- Before Italy's 2-0 reverse to Ireland in June, Cesare Prandelli's men were on a nine-match unbeaten run, conceding none at home.
Top 3 Predictions
Faroe Isl. 0-3 Italy
- 26.39 %
Faroe Isl. 0-4 Italy
- 17.88 %
Faroe Isl. 0-5 Italy
- 11.34 %
|European Championship Qualification 2012 (EC)||Sep 2, 2011||Faroe Isl. 0 - Italy 1|
|European Championship Qualification 2012 (EC)||Sep 7, 2010||Italy 5 - Faroe Isl. 0|
|European Championship Qualification 2012 (EC)||Nov 21, 2007||Italy 3 - Faroe Isl. 1|
|European Championship Qualification 2012 (EC)||Jun 2, 2007||Faroe Isl. 1 - Italy 2|
|Mar 22, 2013||Austria 6 - Faroe Isl. 0||WCQE|
|Feb 21, 2013||Thailand 2 - Faroe Isl. 0||FR|
|Oct 16, 2012||Faroe Isl. 1 - Ireland Republic 4||WCQE|
|Oct 12, 2012||Faroe Isl. 1 - Sweden 2||WCQE|
|Sep 7, 2012||Germany 3 - Faroe Isl. 0||WCQE|
|6||Jónas Tór Næs||Defender|
|-||Pól Jóhannus Justinussen||Defender|
|10||Christian Lamhauge Holst||Striker|
|16||Daniele De Rossi||Midfielder|