Euro 2012 Qualifier Preview: Germany - Austria
Goal.com previews the action at the Veltins Arena in Gelsenkirchen as Germany looks to clinch qualification with a win against its southern neighbors.
By Vasil Kotsev
Neuer; Howedes, Hummels, Badstuber, Lahm; Kroos, Schweinsteiger; Muller, Ozil, Podolski; Klose
Germany's squad has been hit by a number of injuries in recent weeks with Marco Reus, Sami Khedira and Mario Gomez all out of the game with Austria. In addition, Sven Bender has been forced to withdraw, meaning Toni Kroos is the prime candidate to partner Bastain Schweinsteiger in the center of the pitch.
Low announced on Thursday that the 21-year old will start, as will Benedikt Howedes on the right of defense. Mario Gotze will begin from the bench, with Thomas Muller, Mesut Ozil and Lukas Podolski forming the advanced band of the German attacking midfield.
Miroslav Klose is set to deputize for Gomez with Cacau as backup, while Manuel Neuer is expected to retain his place in goal, ahead of Rob-Robert Zieler, who received his first call-up to the national team last week.
Gratzei; Klein, Scharner, Pogatetz, Fuchs; Baumgartlinger, Alaba; Harnik, Royer; Arnautovic, Hoffer
The most significant change in Didi Constantini's squad is the late inclusion of Marko Arnautovic, who after some poor performances and questionable behavior, was cast away from the national team. Andreas Ivanschitz and Roland Linz, however, have failed to earn a call, while Roman Kienast is out with a fractured metatarsal.
Constantini recently stated that he is unlikely to make major changes to the starting lineup, despite the poor record of five defeats in six game this year.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Germany has a perfect 21 points from its seven Euro 2012 qualifiers.
- The host side could book a spot at Euro 2012 with a victory over Austria.
- The last time Germany failed to qualify for a major tournament was in 1968, when it missed out on the European Championships.
- Austria met Germany at Euro 2008 when Michael Ballack ensured progression for the next stage for the DFB-Eleven with a free kick.
- The visiting team has played 36 games against Germany, but has recorded only eight wins.
- Austria defeated the DFB-Team 6-0 in Germany in 1931, the biggest win against its neighbors to date.
Top 3 Predictions
Germany 3-0 Austria
- 31.96 %
Germany 4-0 Austria
- 15.5 %
Germany 3-1 Austria
- 13.44 %
|WCQ 2014 (UEFA) (WCQE)||Sep 6, 2013||Germany 3 - Austria 0|
|WCQ 2014 (UEFA) (WCQE)||Sep 11, 2012||Austria 1 - Germany 2|
|European Championship Qualification 2012 (EC)||Sep 2, 2011||Germany 6 - Austria 2|
|European Championship Qualification 2012 (EC)||Jun 3, 2011||Austria 1 - Germany 2|
|UEFA Euro 2008 (EC)||Jun 16, 2008||Austria 0 - Germany 1|
|Nov 19, 2013||England 0 - Germany 1||FR|
|Nov 15, 2013||Italy 1 - Germany 1||FR|
|Oct 15, 2013||Sweden 3 - Germany 5||WCQE|
|Oct 11, 2013||Germany 3 - Ireland Republic 0||WCQE|
|Sep 10, 2013||Faroe Isl. 0 - Germany 3||WCQE|