thumbnail Hello,

UEFA Champions League

  • December 8, 2010
  • • 2:45 PM
  • • Štadión Pod Dubňom, Žilina
  • Referee: K. Blom
  • • Attendance: 7208

MSK Zilina 1-2 Spartak Moscow: Ibson Scored And Saw Red As The Krasnye Bilye Comeback To Leave Zilina Pointless

MSK Zilina 1-2 Spartak Moscow: Ibson Scored And Saw Red As The Krasnye Bilye Comeback To Leave Zilina Pointless

A Brazilian brace gave Spartak the double over Zilina.

Tonight's game of pride in Slovakia looked likely to be postponed within minutes of kick-off, as fans threw flares and caused a mass of security problems. Pavel Hapal's MSK Zilina might have wished it had been, as they suffered a double blow at the Pod Dubnom stadion losing 2-1 to Spartak Moscow.

Not only does the loss mean they finish bottom of Group F pointless but the hosts had the lead right at the start of the second-half, despite watching the Russians completely control the ball in the first period. Tomas Majtan finding space to head in a cross from captain Robert Jez. However, the Meat fought back quickly with a Brazilian brace. First Alex helping himself to a goal and then helping Ibson to make it 2-1 in sixteen second-half minutes.

Things were made more difficult for Valery Karpin's men when Ibson's rash tackle reduced the reds to ten men but the Sosoni couldn't find a way back despite Momodou Ceesay coming close twice.

The game was delayed as soon as the second minute with Spartak fans lighting up their end of the ground and throwing flares on to the pitch.

Just seconds later the referee was forced to remove the players from the pitch for safety reasons. The visiting fans throwing a variety of smoke bombs and flares on to the playing area. Spartak fans had reportedly pre-planned an effort to postpone the game, in a continued protest of a death of a fan who was shot in Russia. Spartak players came out to confront the culprits but the delay lasted twenty minutes. Eventually the referee deemed it safe to return and Spartak resumed play.

The Meat had the first clear chance just two minutes after the re-start. Brother to brother action after some good work from Aiden McGeady down the right. Kirill Komabrov crossed to Dmitri at the far post but the winger fired his volley well over from close range.

Just after ten minutes a short corner delivered into the box by Alex, was headed back into the dangerous area by Aleksandr Sheshukov but Aleksandr Kozlov couldn't get a touch towards goal.

The match lacked clear cut chances but the Russians were certainly threatening, Kirill Kombarov roaming forward from right-back to sizzle a shot just wide of the right post.

The Krasnye Bilye midfield were beginning to control the show, with Ibson, Alex and Sheshukov working the ball well but without intent of cutting open the Sosoni.

The first opportunity Zilina created, Tomas Oravec had drifted into an offside position to a sigh of disappointment round the ground. Still, Andriy Dikan was quickly off his line to cover.

Not long after the half-hour mark Zilina came inches away from taking the lead. Babatounde Bello reacted quickly to a block and clipped his shot on to the roof of the net.

A wonderful run from defence by Yevgeny Makeev saw the 2018 World Cup prospect glide past tow defenders winning a foul right on the edge of the area. Alex and McGeady weighed it up but it was the Republic of Ireland international who flighted his effort over.

Zilina were rarely getting deep into Spartak territory but a corner caused the Russians a nervous moment, Martin Stranzl saving the day with a goal saving tackle in the six-yard box.

At half-time Nikola Drincic replaced Kozlov for the Russians and Emil Rilke was introduced for Zilinia.

Just two minutes after the re-start Tomas Majtan was allowed acres of space in the centre of the box from a free-kick by Robert Jez to head home, losing his marker with ease.

Four minutes later Zilina almost doubled their lead. Good play by Jez set the Slovakians off on the break and Bello slipped a pass into space for Oravec. The striker took one touch and blasted towards goal, forcing Dikan to palm over.

The hosts were left to rue their missed chance seconds later. Drincic picked out his captain with a long ball over the top. Alex was left completely free to close in on goal and drill a smart finish into the corner of the net.

It wasn't long before the Meat got a deserved lead. McGeady broke down the middle of the pitch, laid the ball left to Alex who, first time, slid a perfect pass for Ibson to tuck home on the far post.

Zilina fans and players were screaming for a penalty just after an hour. Oravec receiving a push to the back in the box, however the referee showed no interest not once but twice. In the 67th minute a scramble in the box fell to Mario Pecalka but the defender opted to fall and hope in a sea of red shirts; the referee was well positioned and made the correct decision.

It wasn't the hosts' night for decisions, Ibson controlling the ball with his arm in the Zilina area, spinning and just missing the right post. The defenders were furious that no free-kick had been given and Mario Pecalka was booked for protesting.

However, Zilina were given hope with almost fifteen minutes left on the clock. Ibson raising his feet to Emil Rilke in a tackle and rightly seeing a straight red for putting his studs waist high.

The luminous yellows came close twice through substitute Ceesay, who shaved the post with one header but the eleven couldn't get a clear sight of goal against the ten.

Spartak Moscow finish their final game of 2010 with a victory, which will help their ranking going into the Europa League knockout stage. The Russians in third in Group F with MSK Zilina propping up the bottom.

Keep up to date with all the latest Champions League news with and join USA's Facebook fan page!