La Liga Preview: Real Madrid - Zaragoza
Defeated in the Champions League on Wednesday evening, Jose Mourinho's men will feel they have a point to prove on Saturday night
By Robin Bairner
|Real Madrid (4-3-3): Casillas; Ramos, Albiol, Pepe, Nacho; Diarra, Granero; Canales, Kaka, Benzema|
Although Jose Mourinho has said that he feels Real Madrid are out of the Champions League, he will still conserve his top players for Tuesday’s rematch with Barcelona. Sergio Ramos and Pepe are both banned for that encounter and will hence feature against Zaragoza, but the squad is likely to be formed largely by the players who trounced Valencia 6-3 last weekend.
Sami Khedira remains the big injury problem for los Blancos, while Fernando Gago misses out too.
|Zaragoza (4-2-3-1): Doblas; Diogo, Jarosik, Da Silva, Obradovic; Ponzio, Gabi; Boutahar, Lafita, Bertolo; Uche|
Ander Herrera was dismissed last weekend and will subsequently miss this fixture. Kalu Uche and Ivan Obradovic both return from bans.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- After Jose Mourinho saw his side win its first 14 home league games of the season, Real Madrid has failed to win either of its last two, and was of course beaten by Barcelona 2-0 at the Bernabeu in midweek.
- Los Blancos have, however, never dropped a point after taking the lead in a Liga match this season.
- Remarkably, the nine-time European champions have only conceded once from an effort from outside the box – Jonas got that goal in the 6-3 success over Valencia last weekend.
- On each of the last three occasions Real Madrid has met Zaragoza, it has picked up maximum points.
- The omens are not promising for a change in Zaragoza’s fortunes as they have lost five of their last six league matches.
- Indeed, none of their last 14 clashes against los Blancos have ended positively.
- Only once all season have Javier Aguirre’s side managed to win on the road – the worst record in the league.
- Zaragoza’s meagre tally of 32 league goals is dwarfed by Real Madrid’s figure of 79.
Top 3 Predictions
Real Madrid 4-0 Zaragoza
- 18.02 %
Real Madrid 3-0 Zaragoza
- 15.01 %
Real Madrid 5-0 Zaragoza
- 12.41 %
|La Liga (LIGA)||Mar 30, 2013||Zaragoza 1 - Real Madrid 1|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Nov 3, 2012||Real Madrid 4 - Zaragoza 0|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Jan 28, 2012||Real Madrid 3 - Zaragoza 1|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Aug 28, 2011||Zaragoza 0 - Real Madrid 6|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Apr 30, 2011||Real Madrid 2 - Zaragoza 3|
|Dec 18, 2013||Real Madrid 2 - CD Olímpic de Xàtiva 0||ESPC|
|Dec 14, 2013||Osasuna 2 - Real Madrid 2||LIGA|
|Dec 10, 2013||Copenhagen 0 - Real Madrid 2||UCL|
|Dec 7, 2013||CD Olímpic de Xàtiva 0 - Real Madrid 0||ESPC|
|Nov 30, 2013||Real Madrid 4 - Valladolid 0||LIGA|
|22||Ángel Di María||Midfielder|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed