Bundesliga preview: Freiburg - Hannover
Goal.com looks ahead to the first fixture of round 31, with Steve Cherundolo and Hannover in action on Thursday due to the Easter break
By Gary Niblock
|Freiburg: Baumann; Mujdza, Barth, Toprak, Butscher; Schuster; Caligiuri, Makiadi, Putsila, Jendrisek; Cisse
|Hannover: Zieler; Cherundolo, Haggui, Pogatetz, Schulz; Schmiedebach, Stindl, Stoppelkamp, Rausch; Schlaudraff, Abdellaoue
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Freiburg has only ever managed to triumph once against Hannover in seven attempts - beating it 4-1 back in April 2004.
- Should Papiss Demba Cisse manage to overhaul Mario Gomez to become the Bundesliga's leading goalscorer this season, he would be the first player in Freiburg's history to do so.
- In contrast to this season, Freiburg was the only team last season against which Hannover did the home and away double.
- Hannover coach Mirko Slomka is the only current coach in the top flight to have won more than half of his league games in charge.
- The club has won every game (eleven) this season in which Ivorian striker Didier Ya Konan has found the back of the net. Ya Konan scored in the reverse fixture between the sides.
- In its seven previous meetings with Freiburg, Hannover has failed to score only once - in a scoreless draw in February 2005 and captain Steven Cherundolo has been on the field in all seven.
November 27, 2010: Hannover 3-0 Freiburg
The home side took the lead after just fifteen minutes when Didier Ya Konan squared the ball to Jan Schlaudraff, who slotted home into the bottom corner for his first goal of the season. Die Roten extended their lead after the break when Schlaudraff repaid the compliment, breaking through the visitors' offside trap before allowing Ya Konan to stroke the ball home into the empty net. Mike Hanke, now of Borussia Monchengladbach, added the third late on with a low shot under Oliver Baumann, to give Mirko Slomka's men their best start in Bundesliga history.
Follow Goal.com on to get the latest soccer news directly. Check out Goal.com's page; be part of the best soccer fan community in the world!
Top 3 Predictions
Freiburg 0-2 Hannover 96
- 19.07 %
Freiburg 1-2 Hannover 96
- 15.98 %
Freiburg 2-1 Hannover 96
- 12.89 %
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Apr 12, 2013||Freiburg 3 - Hannover 96 1|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Nov 17, 2012||Hannover 96 1 - Freiburg 2|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Apr 22, 2012||Hannover 96 0 - Freiburg 0|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Dec 3, 2011||Freiburg 1 - Hannover 96 1|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Apr 21, 2011||Freiburg 1 - Hannover 96 3|
|Dec 12, 2013||Freiburg 0 - Sevilla 2||EL|
|Dec 8, 2013||Freiburg 0 - Wolfsburg 3||BUN|
|Dec 4, 2013||Freiburg 1 - Leverkusen 2||GERC|
|Dec 1, 2013||Mönchengladbach 1 - Freiburg 0||BUN|
|Nov 28, 2013||Liberec 1 - Freiburg 2||EL|