thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • November 13, 2010
  • • 10:00 AM
  • • St. James' Park, Newcastle upon Tyne
  • Referee: L. Probert
  • • Attendance: 44686

Newcastle United 0-0 Fulham: Dempsey And Cottagers Held Again

Newcastle United 0-0 Fulham: Dempsey And Cottagers Held Again

Stalemate at St. James' Park with both teams playing it safe.

Newcastle United failed to beat a Fulham team who continue their poor away form, with neither squad fully deserving of all three points.

Both teams started brightly, with Newcastle the more positive team. Jose Enrique broke down the left in the second minute, but his ball across the six-yard-box was easily cleared by the Fulham defense.

Danny Guthrie was attacking from the right wing for Newcastle, and his crosses caused trouble for the Fulham defense as he aimed primarily for Andy Carroll, the man aiming for a call-up to the England squad later this week.

Fulham also had good moments in the opening exchanges, with Danny Murphy in particular impressing as he pulled the strings in midfield.

And it was the Cottagers who came closest in the first half hour, with Tim Krul making two good saves in two minutes; first pushing away Zoltan Gera’s shot, then making a great save from American Clint Dempsey’s 20-yard curling effort.

But only five minutes later it was Newcastle who almost broke the deadlock.

From a corner, Carroll was left unmarked and after his shot was blocked the rebound dropped to Kevin Nolan, who had his volley blocked expertly by Mark Schwarzer.

Fulham had been the better team in the first half short on chances, with Tim Krul undoubtedly the busier of the two goalkeepers, but Newcastle were also threatening with Andy Carroll in particular holding the ball up well and looking dangerous in the air.

Newcastle started the second half well, with Peter Lovenkrands forcing a good stop from Schwarzer in the opening minute following good build up play from Carroll and Guthrie.

Schwarzer was soon in action again, blocking a powerful effort from Carroll on the volley from the edge of the box with the Fulham defense covering.

Fulham were increasingly on the back foot, with Carroll becoming a key figure for Newcastle and at the center of every move, while Cheick Tiote was also impressing in the center of the pitch for the Toon Army, even if his shooting left something to be desired.

Lovenkrands tested Schwarzer again with a header this time, after a good counter attack, with Newcastle in the ascendancy throughout the early second half.

Moussa Dembele then crashed a volley against the crossbar for Fulham following a flick on from Dickson Etuhu at a corner in the 70th minute.

The match then threatened to turn nasty as Dempsey took offense to a foul from Tiote, with a tete-a-tete that the referee Lee Probert did well to defuse early.

Both teams made substitutions following this, which did nothing but disrupt the flow of play as Newcastle went in search of the winner, with Fulham looking to sneak a goal on the counter attack.

Great work from Gutierrez on the left wing almost led to a breakthrough in the 85th minute, but Nile Ranger was unable to get any contact on the ball.

With the home crowd becoming increasingly vocal, a cross into the box was met with poor communication from Fulham, and the ball rebounded to Carroll, whose spinning volley bounced inches wide.

But in truth it was a deserved point for Fulham, who defended well and would have stolen all three points but for the thickness of the crossbar.

For more on Americans abroad, visit's dedicated page and join USA's Facebook fan page!