thumbnail Hello,


  • May 9, 2014
  • • 2:45 PM
  • • The DW Stadium, Wigan
  • Referee: M. Jones
  • • Attendance: 14560

Managers Harry Redknapp and Uwe Rosler

Wigan Athletic 0-0 QPR: Championship playoff first leg ends scoreless

Managers Harry Redknapp and Uwe Rosler

There was a sense of both sides settling for the result, although Wigan did have a good penalty appeal turned down.

A nervy Championship playoff semifinal first leg between Wigan Athletic and QPR ended goalless at the DW Stadium on Friday.

With promotion back to the Premier League available for two sides that suffered the ignominy of relegation last year, there was palpable tension around the ground. And that manifested itself in a drab encounter in which both teams opted for a safety-first approach.

Wigan's Marc-Antoine Fortune had the only chance of note, blazing over midway through the second half, and the sides will meet again at Loftus Road on Monday with a place at Wembley still very much up for grabs.

It was the hosts who looked the more likely in the early stages, although chances were few and far between after QPR keeper Rob Green comfortably saved Gary Caldwell's header.

Their dominance in possession did almost bring reward just before the break, with Green producing a fine save to keep out Jordi Gomez's powerful, low effort.

Whatever QPR boss Harry Redknapp said to his players at halftime seemed to have an impact as his team came out after the break with added verve.

Yet, as was the case with its opponent in the opening period, control of the game did not yield openings with Wigan defending resolutely.

In fact, it was Uwe Rosler's side that created the next chance. After QPR failed to clear its lines on multiple occasions from a corner, Robert Kiernan sent a vicious pass across the box, but Fortune shot just over.

Rocked into action, Redknapp responded with a positive substitution, replacing defender Armand Traore with striker Kevin Doyle.

But that failed to have an immediate impact and the withdrawal of attacking midfielder Ravel Morrison soon after suggested a change in tact.

Indeed, there was a sense of both sides settling for the result, although Wigan did have a good penalty appeal turned down when Clint Hill appeared to have fouled Kiernan.

It was not given, though, leaving matters intriguingly poised ahead of the second leg.

Follow GOAL.COM on