U.S. Open Cup Preview: Chicago Fire - D.C. United
A place in the final is on the line at Toyota Park, with in-form Chicago looking to take down upstart D.C. for the third time in as many months.
By Avi Creditor
|Chicago Fire (4-4-2): Johnson; Anibaba, Berry, Soumare, Segares; Nyarko, Larentowicz, Alex, Lindpere; Magee, Rolfe.
QUESTIONABLE: Dilly Duka (R groin strain), Alex (L calf contusion)
ROAD TO THE SEMIFINALS
3rd round - Def. Charlotte Eagles 2-0
4th round - Def. Columbus Crew 2-1
Quarterfinals - Def. Orlando City SC 5-1
|D.C. United (4-4-1-1): Willis; Korb, Jakovic, Woolard, Riley; DeLeon, Jeffrey, Kitchen, Porter; Silva; De Rosario.
OUT: Lewis Neal (pubic stress reaction), Marcelo Saragosa (L knee pain), Lionard Pajoy (hernia surgery), Casey Townsend (R foot strain)
QUESTIONABLE: Chris Pontius (L leg neural tension), Carlos Ruiz (L hip flexor strain), Michael Seaton (R hip flexor strain)
ROAD TO THE SEMIFINALS
3rd round - Def. Richmond Kickers 0-0 (4-2 in penalties)
4th round - Def. Philadelphia Union 3-1
Quarterfinals - Def. New England Revolution 3-1
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- These teams have combined for six U.S. Open Cup triumphs, with Chicago winning four (1998, 2000, 2003, 2006) and D.C. winning two (1996, 2008).
- The winner will head west to take on either the Portland Timbers or Real Salt Lake in the final. The western-based teams won a coin flip to determine the host site for the championship match. Neither Portland nor RSL has won a U.S. Open Cup before.
- All of three D.C. United's recent signings -- Luis Silva, Jared Jeffrey and Conor Doyle -- scored in the club's 3-1 victory over the Montreal Impact over the weekend.
- In three league matches, Silva has become the team's leading scorer, with three goals.
- The Fire have beaten D.C. twice in league play this season, winning 2-0 on June 2 and 4-1 on July 20. Both of those games were held at Toyota Park.
- Chicago is 21-0-1 all-time in Open Cup games played in Illinois, including 9-0-1 all-time at Toyota Park.
- Fire forward Mike Magee leads MLS with 14 goals.
Top 3 Predictions
Chicago Fire 3-1 D.C. United
- 50 %
Chicago Fire 2-2 D.C. United
- 50 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Oct 4, 2013||D.C. United 0 - Chicago Fire 3|
|USA - Open Cup (OC)||Aug 7, 2013||Chicago Fire 0 - D.C. United 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jul 20, 2013||Chicago Fire 4 - D.C. United 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jun 2, 2013||Chicago Fire 2 - D.C. United 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Oct 27, 2012||Chicago Fire 1 - D.C. United 1|
|Oct 27, 2013||New York Red Bulls 5 - Chicago Fire 2||MLS|
|Oct 19, 2013||Chicago Fire 1 - Toronto FC 0||MLS|
|Oct 12, 2013||FC Dallas 2 - Chicago Fire 3||MLS|
|Oct 4, 2013||D.C. United 0 - Chicago Fire 3||MLS|
|Sep 28, 2013||Chicago Fire 2 - Montreal Impact 2||MLS|
|33||Juan Luis Anangonó||Striker|
|14||Dwayne De Rosario||Midfielder|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed