Champions League Preview: Barcelona - Paris Saint-Germain
The Blaugrana will hope that home advantage can give them the edge over Carlo Ancelotti's star-studded outfit in Wednesday's Champions League quarterfinal second leg
By Karthick Arvinth
Barcelona forward Lionel Messi is racing to recover from a hamstring strain in time for the crunch encounter against Paris Saint-Germain at Camp Nou.
Cesc Fabregas is likely to be preferred in attack if Messi fails to return, while Pedro is also in contention for a starting berth after recovering from a calf injury.
Blaugrana boss Tito Vilanova may deploy either Sergio Busquets or Alex Song in central defense in place of the inexperienced Marc Bartra to counter the attacking threat of the visitors.
PSG captain Thiago Silva is expected to play despite missing the weekend win at Rennes with a bruised knee.
Thiago Motta (groin) and Alex (thigh) should also be fit, but Blaise Matuidi is suspended after picking up his third booking of the competition in the first leg.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Barcelona is on a 20-match unbeaten run at Camp Nou in the Champions League, winning 16, since a 2-1 defeat against Rubin Kazan in October 2009.
- The Blaugrana's overall home record against French opposition is W5, D1, L1, with their most recent encounter against a Ligue 1 club ending in a 5-2 second-leg victory over Olympique Lyonnais in the 2008-09 Champions League round of 16.
- Barcelona has gone on to win 18 of 23 European ties in which they have drawn the first leg away from home.
- Paris Saint-Germain have won three of their four away matches in the Champions League this season.
- The Ligue 1 leader has never lost a two-legged European tie to Spanish opponents before. Their overall away record against clubs from Spain is W4, D1, L3.
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic (pictured, right) is the only player to have scored for six different clubs in the Champions League: AC Milan, Ajax, Barcelona, Inter, Juventus and PSG.
Top 3 Predictions
Barcelona 3-1 PSG
- 17.51 %
Barcelona 3-0 PSG
- 12.54 %
Barcelona 1-2 PSG
- 11.59 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Apr 10, 2013||Barcelona 1 - PSG 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Apr 2, 2013||PSG 2 - Barcelona 2|
|Club Friendlies (FRC)||Aug 4, 2012||PSG 2 - Barcelona 2|
|Mar 8, 2014||Valladolid 1 - Barcelona 0||LIGA|
|Mar 2, 2014||Barcelona 4 - Almeria 1||LIGA|
|Feb 22, 2014||Real Sociedad 3 - Barcelona 1||LIGA|
|Feb 18, 2014||Manchester City 0 - Barcelona 2||UCL|
|Feb 15, 2014||Barcelona 6 - Rayo Vallecano 0||LIGA|
|8||Andrés Iniesta Luján||Midfielder|
|13||José Pinto Colorado||Goalkeeper|
|23||Gregory van der Wiel||Defender|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed