Champions League Preview: Paris Saint-Germain - Barcelona
The ambitious Ligue 1 outfit is bidding to reach only its second Champions League semifinal as it prepares for the visit of the four-time European Cup winners on Tuesday.
By Karthick Arvinth
Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Thiago Motta is unavailable to face Barcelona at Parc des Princes after suffering a groin injury in training.
Midfielder Lucas Moura and striker Ezequiel Lavezzi will be recalled to the side after being rested for Friday's win over Montpellier, while Marco Verratti and Zlatan Ibrahimovic return from European bans.
Italy international Verratti is expected to get the nod alongside Blaise Matuidi in central midfield ahead of Clement Chantome and David Beckham.
Barcelona duo Xavi and Jordi Alba have shaken off thigh injuries that forced them to miss the 2-2 draw at Celta Vigo.
Javier Mascherano, Sergio Busquets, Andres Iniesta and David Villa were all rested on the bench for that game and could return to the starting lineup.
Defenders Carles Puyol (knee) and Adriano (hamstring) and striker Pedro (suspension) are sidelined, but goalkeeper Victor Valdes returns from a domestic ban.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Paris Saint-Germain is on a 23-match unbeaten home run in European competition stretching back to a 4-2 defeat against Hapoel Tel-Aviv in the UEFA Cup group stage in November 2006.
- Les Parisiens are looking to reach their second Champions League semifinal. Their only previous quarter-final appearance was also against Barcelona in 1994-95, and it ended in a 3-2 aggregate victory.
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic (pictured, right) made 29 Liga appearances for Barcelona in the 2009-10 season, scoring 16 goals.
- Barcelona has only won two of its last eight away matches in all competitions (W2, D3, L3).
- The Catalan giants have won their last six Champions League quarterfinals and their last defeat at this stage came against Juventus in 2002-03.
- Barcelona's overall away record against French opposition is W3, D2, L2. Its most recent visit to France resulted in a 1-1 draw against Olympique Lyonnais in the 2008-09 Champions League round of 16.
Watch FC Barclona vs. Paris Saint-Germain today at 2:00 p.m. ET on FOX Soccer!
Top 3 Predictions
PSG 1-3 Barcelona
- 19.04 %
PSG 1-2 Barcelona
- 15.19 %
PSG 2-1 Barcelona
- 10.88 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Apr 10, 2013||Barcelona 1 - PSG 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Apr 2, 2013||PSG 2 - Barcelona 2|
|Club Friendlies (FRC)||Aug 4, 2012||PSG 2 - Barcelona 2|
|Mar 8, 2014||SC Bastia 0 - PSG 3||Lig1|
|Mar 2, 2014||PSG 2 - Marseille 0||Lig1|
|Feb 23, 2014||Toulouse FC 2 - PSG 4||Lig1|
|Feb 18, 2014||Leverkusen 0 - PSG 4||UCL|
|Feb 14, 2014||PSG 3 - Valenciennes FC 0||Lig1|
|23||Gregory van der Wiel||Defender|
|8||Andrés Iniesta Luján||Midfielder|
|13||José Pinto Colorado||Goalkeeper|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed