International friendly preview: England - Brazil
The Three Lions are looking to celebrate the Football Association's 150th birthday with a win while visiting boss Luiz Felipe Scolari has a wealth of attacking options to call on
By Tom J Doyle
Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Cole
Walcott, Cleverley, Milner
Alves, Miranda, Dante, Adriano
Ramires, Oscar, Paulinho
Lucas Moura, Ronaldinho
Forwards Jermain Defoe (ankle) and Daniel Sturridge (thigh) are out of contention for England, with Theo Walcott or Danny Welbeck likely to push for a place alongside Wayne Rooney in attack.
Michael Carrick (hip) has also been ruled out of the squad, meaning Jack Wilshere may make his long-awaited return to the starting XI after featuring as a substitute against Sweden in November.
Ashley Cole is in line to receive his 100th international cap if he is selected ahead of the in-form Leighton Baines, while Gareth Barry misses out despite his fine performances for Manchester City.
Real Madrid forward Kaka has missed the cut for Brazil, but Luis Fabiano and Ronaldinho have both been included by Luiz Felipe Scolari, as well as QPR goalkeeper Julio Cesar.
Chelsea defender David Luiz is set to miss out on the game as he is suffering from a calf strain.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- England has won only three of its 23 games with Brazil, losing 11 and drawing nine.
- The Three Lions' winless run against the Selecao stretches back eight games - the last win came under Bobby Robson in 1990.
- England won that game 1-0 courtesy of a goal from Gary Lineker.
- Brazil has only won two of its past 10 games at Wembley.
- England has scored in all but one of its 31 games at the new Wembley.
- Of its last 18 games, Brazil has won 15 and lost just twice.
- The last tie between these two sides saw Brazil run out to a 1-0 win in Doha in 2009.
- Neymar (pictured, right) will be the visitors' main threat with eight goals in his last six international appearances.
Top 3 Predictions
England 1-3 Brazil
- 15.68 %
England 1-2 Brazil
- 14.63 %
England 2-1 Brazil
- 10.38 %
|International Friendlies (FR)||Jun 2, 2013||Brazil 2 - England 2|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Feb 6, 2013||England 2 - Brazil 1|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Nov 14, 2009||Brazil 1 - England 0|
|Mar 5, 2014||England 1 - Denmark 0||FR|
|Nov 19, 2013||England 0 - Germany 1||FR|
|Nov 15, 2013||England 0 - Chile 2||FR|
|Oct 15, 2013||England 2 - Poland 0||WCQE|
|Oct 11, 2013||England 4 - Montenegro 1||WCQE|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed