FA Cup Preview: Reading - Sheffield United
Brian McDermott’s side goes into the game full of confidence having won three matches in a row, and faces a League One opponent that is beset by a number of injuries.
By Arthur Virgo
Kelly, Pearce, Morrison, Harte
Kebe, Tabb, Karacan, McCleary
Hunt, Le Fondre
McMahon, Maguire, Higginbotham, Williams
Murphy, Doyle, McDonald, Flynn
Reading has no new injury problems, but goalkeeper Alex McCarthy (shoulder) is still out injured, while striker Jason Roberts (hip) and winger Hal Robson-Kanu (knee) remain sidelined.
Much of the Royals’ energy is devoted to the battle to stay in the Premier League, meaning Brian McDermott is expected to rotate his squad heavily for this fourth-round tie.
Sheffield United have suffered a series of injuries in defense, with regular goalkeeper Mark Howard (thigh) and defenders Neill Collins (fractured cheekbone), Matt Hill (fractured jaw), and Jean-Francois Lecsinel (knee) all unavailable.
Further up the pitch the Blades are without striker Shaun Miller (knee) but otherwise have few concerns, and so, with Tuesday's match against Bury already cancelled, they are likely to field a strong side.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Reading has won four of their last five matches in all competitions.
- The Royals have also scored eight goals in their last three games, collecting three consecutive victories despite conceding the first goal in each match.
- Brian McDermott’s side began a similarly effective run this time last year, winning 15 of its last 19 league matches to seal the top spot in the Championship.
- Sheffield United is currently fifth in League One but is beset by poor form, having only beat lowly Oxford United in the last five games.
- The Blades reached both the FA Cup and League Cup semifinals in 2003, but they were beaten by Arsenal and Liverpool respectively.
- Sheffield United’s 23-year-old forward Nick Blackman (pictured right) is the club’s top scorer this season, having netted 14 goals in all competitions.
- Sheffield United has won its last three away matches against Reading in all competitions.
- Blades striker Dave Kitson played for Reading for five seasons between 2003 and 2008, helping the Royals to promotion to the Premier League.
Top 3 Predictions
Reading 2-0 Sheffield Utd
- 16.98 %
Reading 2-1 Sheffield Utd
- 15.09 %
Reading 3-1 Sheffield Utd
- 15.09 %
|FA Cup (FA)||Jan 26, 2013||Reading 4 - Sheffield Utd 0|
|May 19, 2013||West Ham 4 - Reading 2||EPL|
|May 14, 2013||Reading 0 - Manchester City 2||EPL|
|May 4, 2013||Fulham 2 - Reading 4||EPL|
|Apr 28, 2013||Reading 0 - QPR 0||EPL|
|Apr 20, 2013||Norwich City 2 - Reading 1||EPL|
|9||Adam Le Fondre||Striker|
|-||Diego De Girolamo||Striker|