MLS Preview: San Jose Earthquakes - Sporting Kansas City
The two CONCACAF Champions League participants clash at Buck Shaw Stadium for their only meeting of the campaign, a season after each finished atop its respective conference.
By Avi Creditor
|San Jose Earthquakes (4-4-2): Busch; Beitashour, Bernardez, Goodson, Stewart; Cato, Cronin, Baca, Salinas; Wondolowski, Lenhart.
OUT: Nana Attakora (concussion related symptoms), Mike Fucito (R ankle fracture), Ty Harden (R hip surgery), Tommy Muller (Lower back spasms)
QUESTIONABLE: Dan Gargan (R adductor strain), Walter Martinez (L hamstring strain)
|Sporting Kansas City (4-3-3): Nielsen; Myers, Collin, Besler, Sinovic; Feilhaber, Rosell, Joseph; Dwyer, Bieler, Saad.
OUT: Paulo Nagamura (L ankle sprain), Josh Gardner (L hamstring strain)
QUESTIONABLE: Graham Zusi (R quad strain), Kei Kamara (ankle sprain)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- San Jose had a three-game winning streak snapped last week with a 2-0 loss to the Vancouver Whitecaps.
- Sporting KC, conversely, snapped a two-game losing skid with a 3-0 victory over the New England Revolution.
- Last season, both teams finished atop their respective conferences, with San Jose winning the Supporters' Shield. This season, Sporting KC is atop the Eastern Conference, but San Jose is stuck in eighth place in the West -- although the Quakes are just four points out of a playoff place.
- Both teams are participating in the CONCACAF Champions League. Sporting KC won its first group game, while San Jose dropped its first match to another MLS entrant, the Montreal Impact.
- San Jose is just 2-4-2 against Eastern Conference competition this season, and has lost its last three games against teams from the East -- New England, Chicago and D.C. United.
- Sporting KC star Graham Zusi has returned to full training after injuring his quadriceps in the MLS All-Star Game and is in line to make his return after a two-game absence.
- Sporting KC forward Soony Saad has helped fill the void left behind by Zusi, scoring three goals and assisting on three others in the last eight games.
- Kei Kamara is also a question for the visitors after being on the wrong end of a red-card worthy tackle from New England's Andy Dorman, suffering a sprained ankle in the process. He scored twice in the match.
Top 3 Predictions
San Jose Earthquakes 1-2 Sporting Kansas City
- 33.33 %
San Jose Earthquakes 2-1 Sporting Kansas City
- 16.67 %
San Jose Earthquakes 2-2 Sporting Kansas City
- 8.33 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Aug 18, 2013||San Jose Earthquakes 1 - Sporting Kansas City 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||May 27, 2012||Sporting Kansas City 2 - San Jose Earthquakes 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Oct 1, 2011||San Jose Earthquakes 1 - Sporting Kansas City 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jun 17, 2011||Sporting Kansas City 1 - San Jose Earthquakes 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Oct 23, 2010||Sporting Kansas City 4 - San Jose Earthquakes 1|
|San Jose Earthquakes|
|Oct 26, 2013||San Jose Earthquakes 2 - FC Dallas 1||MLS|
|Oct 23, 2013||San Jose Earthquakes 1 - Heredia Jaguares 0||CCL|
|Oct 20, 2013||Los Angeles Galaxy 0 - San Jose Earthquakes 0||MLS|
|Oct 9, 2013||San Jose Earthquakes 1 - Colorado Rapids 0||MLS|
|Sep 29, 2013||Chivas USA 0 - San Jose Earthquakes 1||MLS|
|Sporting Kansas City|
|Dec 7, 2013||Sporting Kansas City 1 - Real Salt Lake 1||MLS|
|Nov 23, 2013||Sporting Kansas City 2 - Houston Dynamo 1||MLS|
|Nov 9, 2013||Houston Dynamo 0 - Sporting Kansas City 0||MLS|
|Nov 6, 2013||Sporting Kansas City 3 - New England Revolution 1||MLS|
|Nov 2, 2013||New England Revolution 2 - Sporting Kansas City 1||MLS|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed