MLS Preview: Chivas USA - Colorado Rapids
The Rapids are the hottest team in the league, carrying an unbeaten streak of seven games into the road clash against the struggling Goats.
By Avi Creditor
|Chivas USA (4-5-1): Kennedy; Delgado, Purdy, de Luna, Borja; Bowen, Mejia, Alvarez, Avila, Villafana; Torres.
OUT: Daniel Antunez (L ACL reconstruction), Bobby Burling (concussion), Caleb Calvert (R foot contusion), Tim Melia (lumbar distectomy) Jose Correa (R quad strain), Oswaldo Minda (R hamstring strain)
QUESTIONABLE: Gabriel Farfan (L quad tightness), Julio Morales (R hamstring tightness)
|Colorado Rapids (4-2-3-1): Irwin; Wynne, Moor, O'Neill, Klute; Sturgis, Wallace; Cascio, Powers, Brown; Sanchez.||
OUT: Diego Calderon (R knee surgery)
QUESTIONABLE: Kory Kindle (L ankle sprain), Martin Rivero (L quad strain), Nick LaBrocca (L groin strain)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The Rapids are coming off a 2-2 draw with rival Real Salt Lake, which clinched their first Rocky Mountain Cup since 2006.
- Colorado is currently on an MLS-best seven-match unbeaten run.
- Rapids midfielder Hendry Thomas will be serving the final game of his suspension and will miss the match. He was given the ban for a rash tackle on the LA Galaxy's Hector Jimenez on July 27.
- Colorado signed two forwards prior to the close of the MLS summer transfer window, inking Uruguayan veteran Vicente Sanchez and Panama's Gold Cup star Gabriel Torres. The latter is the first Designated Player in club history.
- The signings come at an opportune time, with Edson Buddle and Atiba Harris picking up midweek knocks in training. Sanchez is eligible to play immediately.
- Chivas USA will be without American veteran center back Carlos Bocanegra, who will be serving a suspension after being sent off in the Goats' last game. The club announced that El Salvador international Steve Purdy will start in his place.
- After snapping a 14-game winless streak with a win over Toronto FC, Chivas USA has dropped two straight games and remains in the Western Conference cellar.
- This will be the final meetings between the two clubs this season. Colorado is 2-0-0 against Chivas with 1-0 and 2-0 victories on April 13 and May 25, respectively.
Top 3 Predictions
Chivas USA 1-1 Colorado Rapids
- 20 %
Chivas USA 0-3 Colorado Rapids
- 20 %
Chivas USA 0-2 Colorado Rapids
- 20 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Aug 11, 2013||Chivas USA 1 - Colorado Rapids 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||May 25, 2013||Colorado Rapids 2 - Chivas USA 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Apr 13, 2013||Chivas USA 0 - Colorado Rapids 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Oct 20, 2012||Chivas USA 0 - Colorado Rapids 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Aug 18, 2012||Colorado Rapids 1 - Chivas USA 1|
|Apr 12, 2014||Portland Timbers 1 - Chivas USA 1||MLS|
|Apr 6, 2014||Chivas USA 0 - Los Angeles Galaxy 3||MLS|
|Mar 30, 2014||New York Red Bulls 1 - Chivas USA 1||MLS|
|Mar 22, 2014||FC Dallas 3 - Chivas USA 1||MLS|
|Mar 16, 2014||Chivas USA 1 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1||MLS|
|33||M. de Luna||Defender|
|17||Dillon Paul Serna||Defender|
|-||Kevin Andrew Harbottle Carrasco||Striker|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed