MLS Preview: San Jose Earthquakes - Chivas USA
The matchup pits the bottom two teams in the Western Conference against one another, although San Jose maintains a 10-point edge over bottom-feeding Chivas.
By Avi Creditor
|San Jose Earthquakes (4-4-2): Busch; Beitashour, Bernardez, Goodson, Morrow; Salinas, Cronin, Baca, Alas; Lenhart, Wondolowski.
OUT: Nana Attakora (concussion related symptoms), Mike Fucito (R ankle fracture), Ty Harden (R hip surgery), Tommy Muller (lower back spasms)
QUESTIONABLE: Jason Hernandez (L groin strain), Walter Martinez (L hamstring strain)
|Chivas USA (4-5-1): Kennedy; Delgado, Bocanegra, de Luna, Borja; Bowen, Mejia, Alvarez, Avila, Villafana; Torres.
OUT: Daniel Antunez (L ACL reconstruction), Bobby Burling (concussion), Caleb Calvert (R foot contusion), Tim Melia (lumbar distectomy)
QUESTIONABLE: Jose Correa (R quad irritation), Oswaldo Minda (L adductor strain)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- San Jose welcomes back its USA contingent from the squad that won the Gold Cup, with Chris Wondolowski, Clarence Goodson and Alan Gordon returning to the squad. Goodson is eligible to make his club debut after returning to MLS last month.
- Wondolowski was tied for the competition lead in the Gold Cup with five goals, all of which were scored in the first two games against Belize and Cuba.
- The match could pit two veteran USA centerbacks against one another, as Carlos Bocanegra is in line to play his third match since joining Chivas USA, and Goodson could suit up for the Earthquakes.
- San Jose will have to play without the suspended Alan Gordon and Marvin Chavez. The latter's absence could allow for the club debut of Salvadoran star Jaime Alas.
- San Jose and Chivas USA the bottom two teams in the Western Conference, but San Jose is 10 points clear of Chivas and only five points out of a playoff spot.
- The Earthquakes enter the game riding a wave of momentum after a pair of consecutive victories over Cascadia clubs Seattle and Portland. It marks the first time the club won successive games this season.
- Chivas USA, meanwhile, fell to Seattle last week a game after snapping its 14-game winless stretch.
- Mexican striker Erick Torres has scored a goal in each of his first two games with Chivas USA.
Top 3 Predictions
San Jose Earthquakes 2-0 Chivas USA
- 25 %
San Jose Earthquakes 2-1 Chivas USA
- 25 %
San Jose Earthquakes 3-1 Chivas USA
- 12.5 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 29, 2013||Chivas USA 0 - San Jose Earthquakes 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Aug 5, 2013||San Jose Earthquakes 2 - Chivas USA 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Apr 27, 2013||Chivas USA 2 - San Jose Earthquakes 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 15, 2012||Chivas USA 0 - San Jose Earthquakes 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Sep 2, 2012||San Jose Earthquakes 4 - Chivas USA 0|
|San Jose Earthquakes|
|Oct 26, 2013||San Jose Earthquakes 2 - FC Dallas 1||MLS|
|Oct 23, 2013||San Jose Earthquakes 1 - Heredia Jaguares 0||CCL|
|Oct 20, 2013||Los Angeles Galaxy 0 - San Jose Earthquakes 0||MLS|
|Oct 9, 2013||San Jose Earthquakes 1 - Colorado Rapids 0||MLS|
|Sep 29, 2013||Chivas USA 0 - San Jose Earthquakes 1||MLS|
|33||M. de Luna||Defender|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed