MLS Preview: Colorado Rapids - Real Salt Lake
The surprising Rapids are aiming to continue their ascension to the top of the Western Conference with a victory over table-topping RSL.
By Alex Labidou
|Colorado Rapids (4-2-3-1): Irwin; Wynne, Moor, O'Neill, Klute; Sturgis, Wallace; Harris, Powers, Brown; Buddle.||
OUT: Diego Calderon (R knee surgery)
QUESTIONABLE: Kory Kindle (L ankle sprain), Martin Rivero (L quad strain), Brian Mullan (R knee)
|Real Salt Lake (4-4-2): Rimando; Palmer, McDonald, Borchers, Mansally; Beckerman, Grabavoy; Gil; Morales; Garcia, Saborio.||
OUT: Rich Balchan (L shoulder surgery), Carlos Salcedo (gall bladder removal), Josh Saunders (L ACL tear), Chris Schuler (L foot), John Stertzer (R shoulder surgery), Kwame Watson-Siriboe (R ACL tear)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The Rapids only need a draw to win their first Rocky Mountain Cup since 2006.
- Colorado continues to be one of the most surprising teams in MLS, sitting second in the Western Conference despite a rash of early-season injuries. The club's success has come without any go-to scorer, with a pair of players scoring four goals (Dillon Powers, Nathan Sturgis), and a pair scoring five (Deshorn Brown, Atiba Harris)
- After losing a bulk of its roster to Gold Cup, Real Salt Lake finally gets it key players -- Nick Rimando, Kyle Beckerman and Tony Beltran -- back, which should bode well for the Supporters' Shield front runner. Beltran, though, is suspended for the match.
- RSL's Javier Morales is fourth in assists in MLS with seven.
- RSL midfielder Yordany Alvarez was suspended three games by the league for his challenge on New York Red Bulls DP Tim Cahill, who suffered a PCL tear on the play and will be out for up to four weeks.
- The Rapids hold a slight edge in the all-time series against RSL with a 10-9 edge in the wins column.
- Both teams won their first MLS Cups in back-to-back years, with RSL winning in 2009 and the Rapids winning in 2010.
Top 3 Predictions
Colorado Rapids 2-2 Real Salt Lake
- 15.39 %
Colorado Rapids 0-2 Real Salt Lake
- 15.39 %
Colorado Rapids 1-0 Real Salt Lake
- 15.39 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Aug 3, 2013||Colorado Rapids 2 - Real Salt Lake 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Apr 6, 2013||Colorado Rapids 1 - Real Salt Lake 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Mar 16, 2013||Real Salt Lake 1 - Colorado Rapids 1|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Aug 4, 2012||Colorado Rapids 1 - Real Salt Lake 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jul 21, 2012||Real Salt Lake 2 - Colorado Rapids 0|
|Apr 12, 2014||Toronto FC 0 - Colorado Rapids 1||MLS|
|Apr 5, 2014||Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1 - Colorado Rapids 2||MLS|
|Mar 29, 2014||Colorado Rapids 2 - Sporting Kansas City 3||MLS|
|Mar 22, 2014||Colorado Rapids 2 - Portland Timbers 0||MLS|
|Mar 15, 2014||New York Red Bulls 1 - Colorado Rapids 1||MLS|
|17||Dillon Paul Serna||Defender|
|26||Juan Sebastián Velásquez||Midfielder|
|13||Olmes Fernando García Flórez||Striker|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed