Conte was named as Cesare Prandelli’s replacement as Azzurri boss on Thursday, after agreeing terms on a two-year contract with the Italian Football Federation (FIGC).
Having worked with Conte at Juventus, Matri is in no doubt that the 45-year-old - who led the Bianconeri to three successive Serie A titles before leaving Turin this summer - can restore Italy to their former glory.
“He is the right man for the national team,” the Genoa striker told Sky Sport Italia.
“Nobody would’ve ever expected him to walk away from Juventus like that but I am very happy that he is the new Italy coach.
"Conte works very hard on the training ground and won’t have as much time with the players as at club level, so he’ll need players he already knows.”
Conte stunned Juve supporters when he resigned from his post last month, though reports were rife that the coach had clashed with club bosses over this summer's transfer policy.
However, Matri believes that Conte’s recent record of winning major domestic titles cannot be questioned and will stand Italy in good stead ahead of the 2016 European Championship in France.
“He did so well over three years to win three consecutive Scudetti and set an all-time Serie A points record (102),” the forward pointed out.
“Conte is the right man for the national team."
Matri is hoping that his time working under Conte may give him a better chance of returning to the Italy squad, but acknowledged that he has to perform well this season for Genoa, whom he is currently on loan to from AC Milan.
“Getting into the Italy squad passes through performances at club level, so if I received a call it would be because I played well at Genoa,” the 29-year-old said.
“Can the fact Conte worked with me before help? Of course, it’s only normal that can be an advantage.”
Conte will hold his first press conference as Italy coach in Rome on Tuesday.