Inside Siam: 2013 Thai Premier League Round 5 Recap

Another exciting round in the TPL included plenty of highlight-worthy goals and big scorelines for several home teams
Chonburi FC 5-1 Pattaya United
The derby match of the week became one of the round's high-scoring games as The Sharks torn The Dolphins into pieces with a five-goal demolition. Chonburi head coach Wittaya Laohakul missed the match while serving out a suspension for criticising the refreees. Pattaya opened up scoring in the 18th minute through Rachata Chaichan, who capitalized from a failed off-side trap before lobbing the ball over the keeper fabulously.

The home side responded quickly five minutes later when Anucha Kitpongsri's pass from the side rolled into the middle before Adul Lahso poked the ball softly into the net. Chonburi took the lead for good three minutes into the second half via Pipob On-Mo's goal; Thiago Cunha expanded the scoreline to 4-1 with his double before Pipob ended scoring with his second of the match.

Army United 6-0 Bangkok United
In their biggest win so far this season, The Gentlemen Rangers ruthlessly defeated basement-dwellers Bangkok United with a six-goal margin. Army United went ahead early in the fifth minute when Jung Myung-Oh's long shot struck the crossbar before Anuwat Noichernphan came in unmarked to convert the goal. Just seven minutes later, Björn Lindemann's corner kick to the far post was headed in by Chaiwat Nak-iem to double the lead. The score turned 3-0 on the 32nd minute when Muangtong loanee Chainarong Tathong scored his first goal in an Army shirt.

The rain of goals continued in the second half; substitute Mongkol Tossagri received the ball from Tatree Sing-Ha before slotting in comfortably on the 74th minute, while Chainarong added another goal to his account with six minutes remaining. Tatree, who set up many of Army's goals, finally added his own name to the scoreline in the 89th minute to leave Bangkok with just one point from their first five matches.

Ratchaburi FC 0-2 Muangthong United
Muangthong bounced back from their ACL defeat with a 2-0 road win at Rachaburi FC. Now on top of the TPL with 15 points, the visitors struck first in the 18th through Mario Gjurovski's double effort. The home side managed to create a solid attack for most of the match, but Teerasil Dangda's late strike erased any hope for a comeback. The defending TPL champions are now undefeated in 39 matches.

Buriram United 6-1 Songkhla United
Buriram United's Spanish connection combined for all six of their goals in a wild win over Songkhla United. Carmelo Gonzalez's hat-trick, Javier Patino's double, and Juan Quero's second-half strike were too much for the visitors, who could do little more than Phanuwat Jinta's equalizer late in the first half. Songkhla's nightmare of a match became even grimmer when Athibodee Atirat received his marching order for a foul attempt on Gonzalez, who now stands at five goals on the season.

Police United 0-0 Chainat FC
After taking turns attacking each other for the entire match, this exciting game ended with a scoreless draw.

Osotsapa Saraburi FC 0-2 Suphanburi FC
Dark horses Suphanburi continued to impress with a convincing away victory at Saraburi. Their first goal came five minutes into the second half when Suchon Sa-nguandee's cross found Wuttichai Tathong, who headed the ball into the corner of the net. Around ten minutes later, they doubled their lead as Tathong again headed the ball from Mika Chunuonsee's cross. The win put the newly promoted team into second place with 13 points, just two behind leaders Muangthong United.

Samut Songkhram FC 1-1 Bangkok Glass
Both clubs are still awaiting their first league victory after Songkhram failed to capitalize on a man advantage. After four unconvincing performances, key players such Peerapong Pichitchotirat, Teeratep Winothai, and Goran Jerković were dropped to the bench for The Rabbits.

Songkhram were the better team for the first 20 minutes, but Glass starlet Thanasit Siriphala showed his potential talents by dribbling past several defenders before sending the ball into the penalty area for Chatree Chimtalay, who flicked a shot past the keeper to give the visitors a surprising lead.

Two minutes into the second half, the hosts equalized when Park Jae-Hyun's cross was well-received by Gilbert Koomson, who tapped in for the score. Things went from bad to worse for Glass when Ekaphan Inthasen received a second yellow card for a foul on Park Jae-Hyun. Despite the advantage and continuous attacking late, Songkhram failed to put the second goal in and the two sides left honours even.

BEC Tero 2-3 TOT S.C.
TOT SC's five-game undefeated run continued after they leapfrogged BEC Tero into third place in the standings. The visitors stunned home fans when Noppol Pol-udom scored on a remarkable 40-yard drive shot. BEC responded 10 minutes later, when Wichaya Dechmitr tapped in Sho Shimoji's assist. But as soon as the game was tied, the visitors  went ahead for the second time when Lee Jun-Ki headed in Žarko Jeličić's well-curled corner kick.

Nevertheless, The Fire Dragons equalized once again when Silva's long shot was poorly handled by keeper Mantehwa Lahmsombat before Dechmitr followed in and scored his second goal of the game. The winning goal came in the 67th minute when Panomkorn Saisorn took advantage of of a bad clearance, completing what would become BEC Tero's first loss of the season.

Chiangrai United vs Sisaket FC  
Sisaket FC's match was once again postponed due to the club's ongoing legal trouble over their off-season relocation.