Inside Siam: Thai Premier League Round 1 Recap

In its 17th season as Thailand's top footballing competition, fans flocked to stadiums across the country to watch 18 teams begin their quest to unseat champions Muangthong United
BEC Tero 2-2 Chonburi FC
The biggest match of the week came at the start of the day as BEC Tero opened their newly-renovated Chalerm Phrakiat 72nd Stadium by welcoming 2012 runners-up Chonburi FC. The first 20 minutes were filled with scoring; it took just four minutes for the home side to open their account when Amorn Thammanarm slotted the ball past goalkeeper Sinthaweechai into the net. The Fire Dragons doubled their lead just three minutes later when a blundered clearance from Sinthaweechai went right at Cleiton Silva, who couldn't miss with that opportunity.

But just 10 minutes later the visitors cut the lead in half when veteran Therdsak Chaiman’s pass was received by Indonesian international Irfan Bachdim, who tapped it in inside from the six-yard box. The match was entertaining throughout as both teams had fair chances to score. In the end the Blue Sharks were able to walk off the pitch all smiles after stunning home supporters through a late equalizer at the end of regulation from Bošković that saw the teams shake hands with honours even.
Muangthong United 2-1 Army United
Despite missing the suspended Mario Gjurovski the defending champions commenced their season with a win against Army United. The Twin Quilins went ahead in the third minute of play when Adnan Barakat crossed from the left sideline to the talisman Teerasil Dangda who sent the ball blasting into the net with his right foot. Late in the first half, Datsakorn Tonglao assisted Dagno Siaka to double Muangthong's lead.

The visitors chased a goal back in the 75th minute when goalkeeper Weera Koedpudsa parried the ball from Bjorn Lindemann’s header but Tatree Seeha scored on the second effort. Unlike Chonburi FC, Army United were unable to pull even as champions Muangthong won their first three points of 2013.

Samut Songkram 0-2 Pattaya United
Goals from Patawee and Jung Ji Soo was enough for Pattaya to secure a crucial away win to start their campaign.
Insee Police United 1-0 Bangkok United
Daniel Cortes scored the only goal in the 10th minute for his side as newly-promoted Bangkok United received their first taste of defeat in the top flight from the very beginning of the campaign.
Osotspa Saraburi 0-0 Ratchaburi FC
In a battle against TPL mainstays Saraburi,  Division 1 winners and newly-promoted Ratchaburi FC showed that they won't be easy pushovers as they stole a point from the hosts in this scoreless match.

Sisaket FC 0-0 Chainat FC
Formerly known as Esan United, Sisaket began their first campaign back in their home province with a scoreless draw. A largely uneventful affair ended in controversy, when a penalty awarded to Chainat FC in stoppage time inspired angry home supporters to throw water bottles in protest. After order was restored, the visitors failed to convert the kick and were surely disappointed to end the match with one point instead of three.

Chiangrai United 1-3 TOT S.C.
Chiangrai supporters were left scratching their heads as their team were unexpectedly routed by the visitors' three-goal effort. A consolation goal via a penalty was of little help to the Fighting Beetles, who are contesting their third TPL campaign.

Songkhla United 1-0 Bangkok Glass
Hosts Songkhla, celebrating their name change from Wuachon United, welcomed the Rabbits of Bangkok Glass. The only goal of the match came from midfielder Manop Sornkaew in the 52nd minute.

Buriram United 1-1 Suphanburi FC
The double-Cup winners were in for a surprise in their home opener after they had to come from behind against newly-promoted Suphanburi FC. The Thunder Castle Warrior sent out the same squad that tied Vegalta Sendai last Tuesday, with Ramsés Bustos leading the attack with support from playmaker Carmelo González.

After a scoreless first half the action picked up in the 56th minute, when Suchon Sa-nguandee's long shot deflected off teammate Dragan Bošković and rolled into the net giving the visitors the lead and shocking home supporters.

Eight minutes later, the home side tied the game with a wonderful corner-kick from Charyl Chappuis, who curved the ball at the corner line into the far post. Buriram continued to press for the rest of the match, but were disappointed to end with a draw after they failed to find the back of the net again.