Sherwood should stay, say Goal Singapore readers

The interim Tottenham manager is set to make way for a new one when the current season ends despite having an 18-month contract and doing well so far
He possesses the best win percentage (58.8 per cent) of any Tottenham manager in the Premier League era, albeit having held the job for only four months.

Still, Tim Sherwood has arguably done a decent enough job since taking over in mid-season from the sacked Andre Villas-Boas and a 5-1 thrashing of Sunderland on Tuesday seemed to reaffirm that sentiment.

However, despite having been appointed on an 18-month contract only in December, the 45-year-old is set to make way for a new man at the end of the season. Goal can confirm that Sherwood will be replaced as manager, with Dutchman Louis van Gaal and Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino mooted as likely targets.

It is also understood that Sherwood will refuse to stay on in a number two capacity and spoke of his pride at being able to manage Spurs after learning of the news.

"It's an honour to manage this football club and if you have any questions about my future you'll have to ask my employers,” he said on Tuesday. "I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me, it's been a great opportunity and I'm very proud to manage here.

"You can’t stop the speculation, it’s been there since I took over. It’s up to the football club to answer these questions. In a perfect situation I'd have had a pre-season and brought in my own players.”

The majority of Goal Singapore readers have disagreed with the Spurs board's decision, with 60.3% indicating that Sherwood has done enough to prove that he deserves a shot beyond this season. The remaining 39.7%, however, feel that he is still not experienced enough to stay on.