The Red Devils nearly took a shock victory into the second leg and their much improved and determined manner of the performance will give them encouragement in GermanyManchester United were drawn against Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals, many feared the worst for them.
The defending champions were largely regarded as the most formidable opposition and coupled with the Red Devils' poor season so far, it seemed like a foregone conclusion that this spelt the end of their European adventure.
But David Moyes's men defied all odds to emerge with a credible 1-1 draw in the first leg at home on Wednesday morning, with the German side needing a superb strike from Bastian Schweinsteiger to cancel out Nemanja Vidic's opener.
More importantly, the determined nature and much improved manner of the performance as compared to recent times would have restored much belief in the Old Trafford camp, after the way the season has gone for them so far.
The display also gave hope that they could get a result in the return leg, with Moyes stating that his team had a "fighting chance". Left-back Alexander Buttner insisted that they could qualify for the semi-finals as well, with both Vidic and Michael Carrick also expressing optimism.
It was a close call for Goal Singapore readers in a poll asking whether United could indeed come away from the Allianz Arena victorious, with a majority 52.6% tipping the Premier League champions to eliminate their German counterparts. The remaining 47.4% were less optimistic, indicating that Bayern would be too strong for United at home.
United will travel to Bayern for the return leg on April 10, with an away fixture against Newcastle United five days before that.