thumbnail Hello,

Siyabonga Nkosi's sublime header and Siphiwe Tshabalala's first goal of the PSL campaign led to a 2-0 away win for Kaizer Chiefs at the Charles Mopeli Stadium

Kaizer Chiefs breezed past Free State Stars in a PSL encounter played at the Charles Mopeli Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

An end-to-end first half saw AmaKhosi deservedly take the lead through a stunning header from Siyabonga Nkosi.

The home side failed to impress and Siphiwe Tshabalala's first goal of the season secured the victory for the visitors in the 89th minute, which keeps them in the hunt for first place on the PSL standings.

Chiefs had an early chance to break the deadlock, with Letsholonyane turning quickly in the box but failing to connect his shot which Agyei collected with ease.

AmaKhosi looked deadly in possession as the first half developed, continuing their good form after a dominant midweek win over Polokwane City.

Mashamaite had a glorious opportunity to open the scoring with six minutes on the clock, when a corner-kick found him unmarked in the box, but the defender blasted his effort over the crossbar.

Free State Stars first chance fell to Abraw, whose powerful snap-shot went narrowly wide of the right post in the 11th minute.

The goal mouth action continued to flow, with Musona showing good control inside the box in the 12th minute, before unleashing a low shot which brushed the right post.

Tshabalala and Parker were denied by an in-form Agyei six minutes later, as Chiefs looked likely to open the scoring in QwaQwa.

However, the home side began to sparkle as the rain became relentless, with Abraw almost directing a header on target in the 23rd minute.

Chiefs regained composure and asserted their authority once more in the 32nd minute, with a blazing run from Tshabalala allowing him to have a strike at goal, but his attempt was well blocked by Ouro-Akoriko.

The rain and the pace of the game seem to have abated, but Chiefs finally turned their dominance into the opening goal, with Siyabonga Nkosi using his head to direct a Tshabalala delivery past Agyei and give the visitors a vital lead going into half-time.   

Stars started the second half intent on scoring an equaliser, with Mashego almost delivering the desired goal in the 49th minute, but his powerful volley crashed into the wrong side of the netting.

Agyei was called on to deny Chiefs’ second two minutes later, with the keeper showing good reflexes to block Musona’s close-range header.

AmaKhosi’s relentless pressure continued as the second half took shape, with the visitors looking to take the game out of Star’s reach sooner rather than later.  

Bernard Parker’s out of character miss in the 65th minute was sparked by a brilliant piece of distribution from Khune, which allowed for Gaxa to drive a cross into the path of Parker, who directed his shot onto the left post.

Stars struggled to liven up their muted response, which made life comfortable for Chiefs as they looked to secure the three points away from home.

The final few minutes of regular time saw El Lla Kotla hit the back of the net, but Ouro-Akoriko was adjudged to be offside by the assistant referee.

In the dying embers of the match, Tshabalala landed a killer blow from close range to seal a 2-0 win for the visitors.