2013 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying results: Sierra Leone and Liberia progress to final round of qualifiers

The continent continues its journey towards the 2013 competition in South Africa with a number of qualifying matches taking place during the weekend
Malawi 2-0 Chad (4-3 agg)

The Flames of Malawi went into this encounter knowing that they needed to reverse a 3-2 defeat from February, when Chad were able to emerge victorious at home.

Playing in Blantyre in front of their fans, Malawi were banking on their two away goals as they pushed for a goal, which came in the 32nd minute courtesy of John Banda, making it 1-0 and sending the two sides into the dressing room at half time with the Flames holding the ticket to progress into the second round of qualifying thanks to the away goals rule.

In the second half Malawi continued to keep the pressure on the visiting Chad national team, and the Flames found the goal that would effectively be their winner on 70 minutes through a great long-range strike from former Orlando Pirates player Joseph Kamwendo, and the match ended 2-0 in favour of the home side, meaning that Malawi continue on to the second and final round of the qualifiers, while Chad are knocked out.
Namibia 0-0 Liberia (0-1 agg)

The Brave Warriors were prepared for an important Afcon qualifying match on Saturday afternoon in Windhoek, as they aimed to overturn a 1-0 defeat in Monrovia earlier this year to snatch progress from their opponents, Liberia.

The first half ended goalless, with Brave Warriors central defender Da Costa credited with the best chance of the first 45 minutes as his header skipped just wide of the post.

In the 65th minute it seemed as though the home team had taken the lead, but Isaacs' goal was disallowed for an offside in the build-up to the goal. Despite a positive display in the match, the Brave Warriors were unable to score, and it ended 0-0, with Liberia progressing to the final Africa Cup of Nations qualifying round.
Cape Verde 3-1 Madagascar (7-1 agg)
After handing a 4-0 drubbing to Madagascar in the first leg played in Antananarivo in February, Cape Verde were feeling very confident at home in Praia on Saturday.

Cape Verde pushed early on and in the 9th minute Ryan Mendes opened the home side's account. The score was still 1-0 at half time, but in the second half Cape Verde extended their lead through Djaniny. The match was still not over, however, and both sides went on to add a goal apiece before the referee blew the final whistle.

The game went the way of the home side, ending 3-1, and Cape Verde progress to the next round of Afcon qualifying while Madagascar return home to focus on improving the national team before 2015 qualifiers in the coming years.
Sierra Leone 4-2 Sao Tome e Principe (5-4 agg)

Freetown was the venue for the match between hosts Sierra Leone and Sao Tome e Principe, with the visitors aware that their 2-1 advantage from the first leg would be under serious threat from the Leone Stars.

The match began with an early goal from the visitors within the first 30 seconds of the match, surprising the Leone Stars, but they were able to equalise in the 25th minute through Kei Kamara.

Five minutes later Ibrahim Bangura gave the home side the lead, and on 32 minutes Kamara scored his second of the game to make it 3-1 for Sierra Leone. Bangura's double was complete minutes later, making the score 4-1 at half time.

Early in the second half Sao Tome pulled one back, but Sierra Leone would continue to dominate proceedings, and in the 72nd minute Kamara came close to realising a hat-trick for his national team, but the goal was ruled offside. The scoreline remained 4-2 after a quieter second half, and Sierra Leone therefore move onto the final round of qualifiers with a 5-4 aggregate victory.
Uganda 4-0 Congo (5-3 agg)

The Cranes of Uganda found themselves in a tough position ahead of this match with the visiting Congolese, having succumbed to a 3-1 defeat in the first leg played in Pointe Noire in February.

The home side began well in Kampala, however, with Mwesigwa scoring off a Sserumaga corner in the 34th minute to put the Cranes ahead. The second half continued to favour the Ugandans, who took a 2-0 lead when Walusimbi sent keeper Mouko the wrong way when the side earned a 50th minute penalty.

The lead was then further extended to 3-0, thanks to a phenomenal long-range effort from Geoffrey Massa in the 66th minute. Okwi made sure of a 4-0 victory with a goal five minutes from time, putting the Cranes in a comfortable position and allowing them to progress to the second round of Afcon qualifying with a 5-3 aggregate victory over Congo.

Cameroon 1-0 Guinea Bissau (2-0 agg)


Nigeria 2-0 Rwanda (2-0 agg)