League Cup Round-Up: Stoke dumped out by Swindon but Sunderland signings start with win

The Potters slumped to a shock defeat to Paolo Di Canio's men at the death but it was a comfortable night for a number of other Premier League teams who avoided upsets

League Cup

2nd Round Results

West Ham sealed their progress into the third round with an edgy win over a competitive Crewe Alexandra at Upton Park.

The hosts had struggled to hit their stride before former Crewe striker Nicky Maynard volleyed Ricardo Vaz Te's cross home on the 34th minute.

However, Sam Allardyce's men came out for the second half with renewed vigour and got their reward as Modibo Maiga grabbed his first goal for the club, tapping in from six yards.

The Hammers were largely comfortable from then on, dominating possession despite a battling performance from the visitors.

Steve Clarke led West Brom to yet another encouraging result, but saw his side worked hard by Yeovil at Huish Park.

The League One outfit took a surprise lead with just 15 minutes on the clock as Reuben Reid headed in, and the Baggies were forced to wait to get their own breakthrough.

That eventually came through Chris Brunt, whose long-range drive had Premier League quality written all over it as he struck from 35 yards to get his side back on terms.

The Midlands outfit then got themselves in front just seconds before half-time when Shane Long tapped in from close range.

However, their joy was not long lived as Reid struck again against his former employers just three minutes after the half-time interval.

The game had appeared destined for extra-time before a large chunk of fortune in the form of a sizeable deflection on Yassine El Ghanassy's strike helped the ball in.

And Long notched his second of the night as he drove into the top corner from 18 yards in order to make the result certain.


Swindon pulled off one of the biggest shocks of Tuesday night after edging out Stoke in a seven-goal thriller at the Britannia Stadium.

Striker James Collins put Paulo Di Canio's side ahead after capitalising on a Thomas Sorensen mistake to poke home after 27 minutes and the former Shrewsbury man then doubled his tally and the Robins' lead when he headed home emphatically from Raffaele Da Vita's cross.

The Potters were handed a lifeline as Kenwyne Jones headed in from inside the box on the hour mark, and then completed the comeback through Jonathan Walters with five minutes remaining to force the game into extra time.

Given the stature of their opponents and the manner in which they had blown a two-goal lead, the League One side were far from favourites heading into added time.

However, they gained a shock lead yet again with centre-back Aden Flint heading in from a corner, but it was an advantage they could not maintain as Peter Crouch rose highest to meet Walter's cross and seemingly take the game to penalties.

But there was time for one more twist and Collins provided it yet again has he completed his hat-trick sliding in to send the Robins through.


Adam Johnson and Steven Fletcher made their first starts for Sunderland as Martin O'Neill's men comfortably defeated Morecambe at the Stadium of Light.

Former Manchester City winger Johnson was the first to contribute, as his corner was met by James McClean, who headed home from close range.

The Irishman then got on the scoresheet for a second time as he finished neatly into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

The Mackems rarely looked threatened for the rest of the game in truth, but the club's fans will certainly have had their appetite whetted by the performance of the impressive Johnson.


Reading battled to a 3-2 victory over Peterborough United in one of Tuesday evening's most entertaining ties.

The visitors went ahead through a Peter Taylor strike from the edge of the box but held their lead for just four minutes before Pavel Pogrebnyak levelled matters from close range.

The Royals were on terms for just 60 seconds before Lee Tomlin levelled in the 16th minute but it was the same old story as Chris Gunter pulled one back from distance in the 18th.

Following such a frenetic start, goals were at a relative premium for the remainder of the half, though there was time for one more as Nathaniel Knight-Percival turned into his own net after 38 minutes.

The second half was a decidedly more defensive affair and that proved to be to the advantage of Brian McDermott's men, who held on to seal their progression to the next round.


Swansea continued their fine start under Michael Laudrup by beating Barnsley 3-1 at the Liberty Stadium.

Recent acquisition Ki Sung-Yeung made his first start but it was Danny Graham who grabbed the headlines early on as his chested finish gave the Swans the lead following Angel Rangel's cross.

The south Wales side then added to their advantage through striker Luke Moore, who finished brilliantly on his left foot into the top corner.

Laudrup's men were given a fright as Bobby Hassall's header floated in, but Moore wrapped things up with his second of the night which deflected in late on.


Find out how the other Premier League sides got on in League Cup action on Tuesday in the first part of our round-up by clicking here.

Tuesday's other League Cup results:

1-1 Plymouth (3-2 on penalties)
2-1 Ipswich (after extra time)
Coventry City 3-2 Birmingham City (after extra time)
Crawley Town 2-1 Bolton
Doncaster 3-2 Hull City
Gillingham 0-2 Middlesbrough
Leeds 3-0 Oxford United
Leicester City 2-4 Burton Albion
MK Dons 2-1 Blackburn
Preston 4-1 Crystal Palace
Watford 1-2 Bradford City