Beckham should stay retired, say Goal Singapore readers

The former England captain, who ended his playing career in May 2013, has revealed that he is open to making a comeback, which would likely be with his new MLS franchise
Is David Beckham in line for a return to the pitch? The former Manchester United and Real Madrid star has hinted he could don his playing boots again earlier this week.

"Now I go to watch a basketball game and, when you are watching athletes play at the top of their game, for me it gives me that itch again and I want to be back in the game then and I start thinking to myself: 'Could I play again? Could I go back? Could I come out of retirement and start playing again?" he told the BBC.

The 39-year-old ex-England captain retired from the game back in May 2013, having last worn the colours of Paris Saint-Germain, where he won the Ligue 1 title with them in a brief stint.

Beckham also played in the United States for LA Galaxy and had since announced plans to launch a Major League Soccer (MLS) franchise known as New York City FC, with Spain striker David Villa confirmed as their first player on Monday.

However, the majority of Goal Singapore readers were not too keen on the idea of Beckham coming out of retirement, with 60.2% indicating that he should concentrate on his MLS instead. The remaining 39.8% were more encouraging, believing that Beckham still has what it takes to play.