thumbnail Hello,

The Chelsea centre-back, who retired in 2012, has performed impressively this season and some feel he should have been persuaded to make a U-turn for Brazil

Thought to be past his prime, John Terry has proved his doubters wrong this season after an impressive campaign for Chelsea.

The captain has been a rock at the back and arguably one of the best defenders in the league despite his 33 years of age, playing 34 of the Blues' 38 league games and 11 of their Champions League matches.

While Terry quit the national side after falling out with the Football Association in 2012 after being found guilty of racist abuse, some feel manager Roy Hodgson should have done more to persuade the centre-back to go to Brazil.

Former Three Lions international and Arsenal legend Tony Adams was one of them, as he criticised Hodgson for not doing more.

"That's part of the job of the coach, isn't it?" he was quoted as saying in The Guardian. "Part of the job is to work with the players. It does worry me. Terry Venables would have been straight on the phone to John.

"It has got to be the coach's responsibility. Why are we paying him X amount of pounds? Everyone can get them tactically right. Pick a team of your best players and stick them out there, and get them into a shape and say: 'Go and play and ra-ra-ra.'

"I would have six months ago been talking to John. I would definitely have taken him out to lunch and seen where he was and tried to convince him to come and play."

However, the majority of Goal Singapore readers felt that it was indeed the right decision to leave Terry out, with 54.5% believing that it is time for England to focus on youth and let others step up. The other 45.5% were of the opinion that Terry could still have done a job for England.

Chelsea club-mate Gary Cahill is likely to occupy one of the two centre-back berths, with Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Phil Jagielka vying for the other in Brazil.

Poll of the day

Should Terry have been included in England's World Cup squad?

Related