European absence will aid Man Utd, say Goal Singapore readers

The Red Devils will play no part in continental competitions next season after a dismal campaign, but it could yet help them in their recovery
So it is confirmed: Old Trafford will not see European football action next season, with Manchester United failing to make both the Champions League and Europa League following a poor campaign in the recently-concluded season.

The Red Devils finished seventh in a season most supporters will want to forget in a hurry, as they look forward to a new manager to succeed David Moyes and current interim boss Ryan Giggs.

While most will despair at the lack of European football, midfielder Juan Mata recently suggested that the absence of it could help United, citing the example of Liverpool's unexpected title surge this season.

"It can definitely be an advantage in the league," said the Spain international ahead of United's final game of the season against Southampton.

"Of course, I would rather be playing in the Champions League, but if we take Liverpool as the example — you have a team who have fought all the way to the finish without having played in the Champions League."

The majority of Goal Singapore readers agree with his assessment, with 62.2% indicating that the lack of distractions could indeed be helpful to United. The other 37.8% were not so sure, believing that the club still has much work to do to get back to the top.