thumbnail Hello,

There has been rumours over the Argentinian superstar's future at the Spanish giants, although his deal is set to expire only in 2018

Will Lionel Messi leave Barcelona? Once upon a time, that question would not have even been asked - for the answer would be a sure "no".

However, the Catalans' woes this season and Messi's injury-hit campaign has seen real doubt over his Barcelona future emerge. The La Liga giants have been knocked out of the Champions League and lost the Copa del Rey final to Real Madrid last week, while they trail Atletico Madrid in the league with four games left.

There is a contractual stand-off between Messi and Barca currently, although his current deal only expires in 2018. The club is believed to be offering €200million over five years for a new deal, but Messi apparently wants more.

With the likes of Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain able and willing to swoop in, doubts have been cast over Messi staying, although manager Gerardo Martino and club president Josep Bartomeu have insisted the Argentinian genius will not leave.

At 26 years old, Messi has won everything there is to win at Barcelona, including four Ballon d'Ors, whilst also smashing almost every record imaginable. Perhaps that is the reason why the majority of Goal Singapore readers believe that he should leave Camp Nou, with 64.8% indicating that he could do with a new challenge. The remaining 35.2%, however, feel that he should stay and go on to cement his legacy and greatness.

While it remains more likely than not that Messi will sign a new mega deal, it would be sensational if things take a twist and he does move on.

Poll of the day

Is Messi's future at Barcelona?

Related

From the web